Transfer Students Entering IUP

  • Welcome to IUP! You may need to complete all or some of the steps listed below when transferring to IUP. 


    Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

    All students applying for federal financial aid must complete the FAFSA. If you have already completed the FAFSA and IUP is not listed as a school choice on the original application, you can add IUP to your FAFSA at the FAFSA website by selecting “Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA” (you will need your U.S. Department of Education FSA ID for this transaction). IUP’s school code is 003277. You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 and request that your FAFSA information be transmitted electronically to IUP. You will need your Data Release Number (DRN) for this transaction, which is on each page of your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you do not have your SAR, you can request a duplicate SAR by calling 1-800-433-3243 and it will be sent to your home address. Do not file a second FAFSA!

    Federal Direct Loans

    • The application for a Federal Direct Loan is the FAFSA. By indicating on the FAFSA that you are interested in a student loan, one will be processed for you. First-time borrowers must sign in on the U.S. Department of Education's website and electronically sign the Master Promissory Note (e-MPN).
    • Parents interested in obtaining a Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students should apply on the U.S. Department of Education's website. If approved, you must sign in once again to the U.S. Department of Education's website and sign the Master Promissory Note. If you are not approved, IUP will be notified electronically and the student's Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan will be increased.
    • If you are a spring transfer, call PHEAA to cancel your second disbursement(s) for your previous school and inform them that you will be attending IUP.
    • Transfer credits must be evaluated by the IUP Transfer Credit Evaluation Office and reported to the Financial Aid Office before the loan can be certified.
    • You must complete a Federal Direct Loan Entrance Interview either in the Financial Aid Office or online at the U.S. Department of Education's website.

    State Grants

    • Pennsylvania residents can apply for a Pennsylvania State Grant by completing the FAFSA. If you are a non-Pennsylvania resident, contact your state grant agency for state grant information.
    • If you applied using another school’s name and code, or if you are a January transfer to IUP, inform your state grant agency of this change. Pennsylvania residents can contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392.

    When and how will your offer arrive?

    Watch for a letter once your final credit evaluations are complete. Here is a video explaining the different types of financial aid. 

    Other Required Forms

    Student Loan Deferment Forms

    If a deferment form must be completed to maintain your in-school status, take the required document to the IUP Registrar’s Office in Clark Hall for completion.

    Printable Resources

    Fall 2018 Transfer Student Information

    Spring 2019 Transfer Student Information