You register for ASA 483 (our honors thesis number) by completing a "Request for Independent Study" form. Your thesis director will help you fill out this form. You must attach a copy of your thesis proposal to the form. The form requires signatures from your thesis director, academic adviser, department chair, and college dean.

Special Note if You are an Honors College Student:

It is very important that you or your thesis director write "HONORS COLLEGE STUDENT" plainly in the top margin so that the cost of your independent study is charged to the correct university budget line.

The dean's office will send the "Request for Independent Study" form to the Registrar/Scheduling Office. The Registrar/Scheduling Office will add the course automatically to your scheduleyou do not need to use MyIUP to add it yourself.

Two cautions about this automatic scheduling:

  1. If the addition of your thesis will push your schedule into an overloadmore than 17shyou must go to your college dean's office and get permission. The Scheduling Office will not add the course unless you have permission for the overload.
  2. If waiting for the course to be added automatically leaves your schedule temporarily with less than the minimal load required by your financial aid, call this to the attention of the Honors College. This is usually not a problem unless you have waited until the very last minute to file for approval so that there is not enough time for the form to be processed before you encounter difficulties.


You must fill out and submit an Independent Study form and proposal twiceone for each semester. That is, the second semester credits will not appear by magic on your schedule. You must register for the second semester the same way you did for the first.