Skip to main content
IUP artmark

Admission Requirements for International Graduate Students

  • IUP offers numerous master’s and doctoral degree programs, and each one has different application requirements.

    IUP's Admissions Office oversees the admission process for graduate students, but there are additional requirements for international graduate applicants:

  • brochure icon
    world student site icon
    chinese site icon
  • International Application Deadlines:


    • July 1 (Africa)
    • July 15 (All others)
    • Mid-August (International students in the USA with good immigration status)


    • November 15 (Africa)
    • December 1 (All others)
    • Mid-January (International students in the USA with good immigration status)

    Students from the following countries are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS Scores:

    British Virgin Islands
    Brunei, Sultanate of
    Cayman Islands
    Falkland Islands


    New Zealand
    Papua New Guinea
    Puerto Rico
    Samoa (Western)
    Sierra Leone
    Solomon Islands
    South Africa
    St. Kitts and Nevis

    St. Lucia
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    United Kingdom
    Virgin Islands

    Note: Applicants who graduated from a U.S. institution will also not be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.

    Note: English and Sport Science programs require a TOEFL or IELTS regardless of the country above.


    All applications are to be submitted electronically. Apply online today!

    Application Fees

    Paying the application fee is the final step before submitting your application electronically.

    Please make sure that you can meet all of the admission and program requirements before submitting your application. Under no circumstance will the application fee be waived or returned.

    Requirements for International Applicants

    International applicants are required to meet the standard admission requirements and application requirements.

    IUP considers all students who will enter the U.S. on F or J visas as “International Students” for admission purposes. International graduate applicants are not considered for admission to sites or locations other than the IUP main (Indiana) campus, unless taking courses online outside of the United States.

    International students are not admitted for the Summer term unless applying to a “Summers Only program” or are already an IUP student.

    Submitting Education Transcripts

    Official transcripts from previous higher education institutions are required for all students.

    While we strongly encourage all students to submit transcripts using World Education Services or another member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services foreign educational credential evaluation services, students who have attended institutions of higher education in the following countries are required to submit their transcripts through this service: 

    • Cameroon
    • Gambia
    • Ghana
    • Haiti
    • Kenya
    • Liberia
    • Nigeria
    • Togo

    Before you apply, please note that some services do charge a fee in order to process your information, and we recommend that you begin the process as soon as possible to ensure that your materials can be received, evaluated, and forwarded to IUP in a timely manner. IUP cannot forward any transcripts to these providers, so please make sure you follow the appropriate protocol in order to expedite your application in the most cost-efficient way possible. 

    Transcripts from students who are not required to use a foreign educational credential evaluation service and are sent to IUP directly must have the official seal of the institution.

    International applicants must complete the following:

    • Submit the IUP International Student Affidavit of Financial Support . International students must document their ability to assume full responsibility for the cost of graduate education. It is expected that a graduate student will need financial resources for food, housing, travel, books, fees, etc. Fall and Spring applicants must be able to prove financial support of $31,570. The amount for summers-only applicants is $16,000. Amounts may change for later admissions, as tuition and/or living expenses may increase. The Affidavit of Support (I-34) may be included with the application materials. Note: Applications will not be processed without an acceptable financial statement and application fee.
    • Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores must be submitted directly to the School of Graduate Studies and Research at IUP by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). If you have graduated with a degree from an accredited American institution of higher education, the TOEFL will be waived after you have provided IUP with an official copy of the transcript showing the degree conferred. (Note: Some departments may require a TOEFL score for their programs even if a degree from a U.S. institution is received.) Official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are acceptable, as of October 14, 2009. The minimum acceptable IELTS score is 6.0; however, departments may require a higher score for their programs. Please contact the graduate coordinator for your program for the minimum acceptable IELTS score.
    • A copy of your passport or other government-issued document.
    • Dependent Immigration Request Form (students requesting immigration documents for dependents will need to complete the dependent information portion of the IUP International Student Affidavit of Financial Support and show enough funding for each dependent).

    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum TOEFL score requirement is 540 (paper-based) or 76 (Internet-based). Some departments require higher scores; see below:

    Minimum TOEFL score (paper-based listed below) or computer-based and Internet-based equivalency requirements for admission, listed by program, are as follows:

    • Administration and Leadership Studies, DEd: 600, as well as a 5.0 TWE
    • Biology, MS: 550
    • Composition and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Ph.D.): 600 (IELTS 7.0) to be competitive but will consider applications with a TOEFL of 570 (IELTS 6.5) or higher
    • Curriculum and Instruction, DEd: 600, as well as a 5.0 TWE
    • Geography, MS: 550
    • Employment and Labor Relations, MA: 550
    • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA): 580 (IELTS 6.5) or higher to be competitive but will consider applications with a TOEFL of 550 (IELTS 6.0) or higher
    • Music, MA: 550
    • Public Affairs, MA: 550
    • Sociology, MA: 550
    • Speech-Language Pathology, MS: Ninetieth percentile or higher on the oral and written subtests of the TOEFL. Visit the Speech-Language Pathology website for additional information.
    • All others: 540

    ALI Provisional (ALI-P)

    The ALI Provisional program is designed for students who want to study English before starting a degree program at IUP.

    Students can receive provisional admission to select graduate programs (see below) at IUP while they study at the ALI to meet the university’s language proficiency requirement.

    Acceptance, Questions

    Applicants will be issued immigration documents by the Office of International Education with their formal acceptance to graduate school. The Office of International Education will also send information about arrival dates, housing, etc. Applicants with questions about legal matters, certificates of eligibility (immigration documents), time it takes to receive admission/immigration information, etc., should contact:

    Indiana University of Pennsylvania
    Office of International Education

    B25 Delaney Hall
    920 Grant Street
    Indiana, PA 15705
    Phone: 724-357-2295
    Fax: 724-357-2514

    Upon Arrival

    Upon arrival at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, or as soon as the information is known, you must update your local address by following the address change instructions on MyIUP or by contacting the Office of the Registrar.

  • Programs of Study
    Choose from IUP’s fifty-five master’s and ten doctoral programs.
    Financial Aid
    Assistantships, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs can help you pay for your education.
    Frequently Asked Questions
    See what international students often ask—and find answers.
    Graduate Admissions
    Learn more about graduate study at IUP.
    Admitted Students
    Find out what to do once you’re accepted to IUP.
    Office of International Education
    Learn how this office can help you adjust to life in the U.S. and at IUP.