Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Brief History

Engraving of Sutton Hall

Indiana University of Pennsylvania was founded as Indiana Normal School in 1875, with 225 students and one building, John Sutton Hall.

In 1920, the school was awarded the right to grant degrees. Its name changed to the State Teachers College at Indiana, Pa., and its ownership changed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Name changes followed in 1959, when it became Indiana State College, and 1965, when it became Indiana University of Pennsylvania and initiated its first doctoral program.

In 1983, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education was created. Indiana University of Pennsylvania now ranks as the largest of the State System’s fourteen member institutions, and the only one authorized to grant doctoral degrees.

Still standing more than 130 years after its construction, John Sutton Hall remains at the heart of the IUP campus.