Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the faculty strike authorization vote mean there definitely will be a faculty union strike?

The strike authorization vote taken by the faculty union does not automatically mean there will be a strike. The faculty union took similar votes during each of the last three rounds of negotiations; none resulted in a strike.

How will people know if a strike is called?

If a strike by the faculty union appears imminent, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education will be in regular communication with students and university employees.

Will the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education universities, including IUP, close if a strike is called?

The universities will remain open, to the extent possible, if a faculty strike is called. By law, individual faculty members have the right to decline to participate in a strike called by the union so individual classes could still be held. Each university has a contingency plan it would implement in the event of a strike. The goal of every contingency plan is to keep the campuses open, to ensure students and employees are safe, and to keep students on schedule toward the completion of their degrees.

What should students do if a faculty strike is called?

If the faculty union calls a strike, students will be expected to report to all of their classes. Individual faculty members may choose to continue teaching. If a strike occurs, questions on classes should be directed to Michelle Fryling at (724) 357-2302 or via e-mail at

Should students with on-campus work-study jobs continue to report for work?

Yes. Students with on-campus work-study jobs would need to continue to report to work, as the university would remain open if a strike were called. If a student works for a faculty member who has not reported for work, the student should report to the dean’s office.

Will university facilities such as the library, computer labs, dining services, residence halls, fitness center, Registrar’s Office, University Safety/University Police, Center for Health and Well-Being, and other administrative offices be open in the event of a strike?

Yes. To the extent practical, the university would remain open so all of these facilities and offices would remain open. All employees represented by other unions are required to work in the event of a strike by faculty and/or coaches. Information about extended hours for services and facilities especially important to students, as well as other special events (films, lectures, etc.) for the university community would be posted on the university website as information was received.

Will an internship or a practicum be affected by a strike?

Because individual faculty may choose to continue teaching during a strike called by the union, this would be determined on a case-by case basis.

Will counseling services be available in the event of a strike?

Many counseling professionals are faculty and may be unavailable if a strike occurs. If a faculty strike occurs, every effort would be made to refer students to other counseling services available in the area. The Open Door is available for crisis/suicide counseling 24 hours per day, seven days a week at (724) 465-2605. Referral for counseling services in the Indiana community are available by calling the Center for Health and Well-Being at (724) 357-2550.

What about extracurricular activities that are sponsored by the university—will they go on as scheduled?

Yes, to every extent possible. In the case that a program or event is dependent upon a faculty member who would choose to go on strike, and this event were canceled, this information would be posted on the IUP website.

How would the latest information regarding a strike be disseminated?

The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education’s website would be updated regularly with information regarding the status of negotiations. If a faculty strike occurs, information about operation of the IUP campus would be posted on the IUP website. Persons also could contact the Office of Media Relations at (724) 357-2302.