Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an I-Card, and how do I get one?

The I-Card is your student ID and comes equipped with a Smart Chip to incorporate dozens of important features, including the ability to link your I-Card to your bank ATM card. I-Cards can be obtained at the HUB, room 212. More information about the I-Card can be found online.

I am an out-of-state student starting a graduate program at IUP. Do I have to become a Pennsylvania resident?

Under Pennsylvania law, all new residents of the state are required to apply for residency within sixty days of moving into the state. Information on how to obtain Pennsylvania residency can be found at the PA Department of Transportation website.

How do I obtain a Pennsylvania drivers license?

A driver’s license can be obtained through a Pennsylvania Department of Motor Transportation Driver License Center. In Indiana, this center is located at the Indiana Mall, Rt. 286 and Warren Rd Unit 110, and is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:15 to 4:15. More information on obtaining a license can be found online.

Does IUP have wireless capabilities?

IUP offers free wireless Internet services throughout its campus for students, faculty, and staff. Information on how to connect to IUP’s wireless network can be found at the IT Support Center's website. 

I’ve recently changed my name. What type of paperwork does the university require for the name change?

Current students that have changed their name are asked to contact the Registrar’s Office and fill out a Name Change Correction form. The Name Change Correction form can also be found online.

Do graduate students have access to a gym? If so, what hours is the gym open?

The Co-op Fitness Center is located in the Hadley Union Building (HUB) and is available for graduate students. The Fitness Center is home to aerobics classes, cardio equipment, indoor golf, spinning classes, weightlifting equipment, and intramural teams for a variety of different sports.

Is there a campus map available?

Visit us online for detailed maps and directions.

Where can I find information about on-campus dining?

IUP offers several choices for dining while on campus. Visit us online for information on the various food courts on campus.

Are parking permits available for graduate students?

Yes, commuter parking permits are available to all graduate students and can be obtained by applying through the secure area of URSA. Information can also be found online at the Parking Services and Visitor Center website.

What type of public transportation is available?

Various bus routes are provided by both the Indiana County Transit Authority and IUP. Indiana also has two companies that offer Taxi services, which are:

  • Red and White Taxi Services: 724-463-0270
  • Turbo Taxi: 724-465-TAXI

Where can I look up information on the required textbooks for my classes?

The Co-op Store has a textbook search tool that allows you to look up textbooks by course and section. Through the Co-op Store website, you can obtain the title, author, and ISBN numbers for the books that you will need, and can pre-order your books or arrange to have them shipped.

What grocery stores are available in Indiana?

Indiana has a variety of grocery stores to meet student needs. Among the most popular include:

  • Martin’s Food Market, 1570 Oakland Ave., 724-465-6834 
  • Super Wal-Mart, 3100 Oakland Ave., 724-349-5759
  • Back to Nature Healthy Foods Supplements & Café, 2450 Warren Rd., 724-349-1772
  • Giant Eagle, 475 Ben Franklin Rd S., 724-349-9376
  • Asian Supermarket, 24 S. 7th St . 724-463-1601
  • School of Graduate Studies and Research
  • Stright Hall, Room 101
    210 South Tenth Street
    Indiana, PA 15705-1048
  • Phone: 724-357-2222
  • Fax: 724-357-4862
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Summer: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.