IUP artmark

Steps for Securing an On-campus Student Employee Position

  • (Or, “How Can I Get a Job Around Here?”) *

    Federal Work Study

    Confirm if you have a Federal Work Study award prior to beginning employment. Instructions for viewing your FWS are as follows:

    • Log into MyIUP at https://my.iup.edu using your IUP network account (your four-character user ID).
    • Click on the Finances page.
    • In the Financial Aid section, click current next to Award Letters.
    • In the section of the award letter that shows your financial aid eligibility, look for Federal Work Study. Make sure there is a dollar amount listed beside it. If you have any questions about your FWS Award (or any other financial aid awards), please contact the Financial Aid Office in Clark Hall, 724-357-2218. 

    *Please be aware that having a Federal Work Study award does not guarantee that you will obtain an on-campus student employment position. On-campus positions are limited, so you may want to consider checking out the off-campus job postings, as most jobs in that category are within an easy walk or bus ride from campus.

    Job Application

    (Please note: Procedures will change beginning in the fall 2017 semester. On-campus student employment will be coordinated by the IUP Office of Human Resources.)

    • Review the positions posted online at the Student Employment Program and in the binder in Pratt 302 (all positions are posted in both locations). Most positions posted will require FWS, but some will not be restricted to students with Federal Work Study awards. These positions will be advertised as University Employment (UE) or State Work Study. Jobs are posted as we receive them in our office, so check back frequently if you don’t see something you’d like.
    • If you are interested in a particular position, contact the person in the department listed on the posting and let them know you would like to interview for the position.

    Once You Have Secured a Position

    Clearance Procedures for Returning Student Employees

    • Log into MyIUP > Personal Information > Employee Background Clearance Progress.
    • If all three clearances have a status of “Complete,” print the screen and include with your hire paperwork to Payroll Services (see Step 6).
    • If any of your clearances have a status of “Incomplete,” please send an e-mail to your designated HR representative, who will review your situation and recommend the appropriate course of action for you. 

    Clearance Procedures for New Student Employees

    Your new supervisor needs to complete the Online Request for Background Check Form on the Human Resources website. Additional information can be found at the links below:

    You and your new supervisor will receive an e-mail from the Office of Human Resources once you have been provisionally cleared to begin work.

    Submit Paperwork

    Once you have secured a position, you will be asked to present your Social Security card and your driver’s license or photo ID along with the following list of forms to Payroll Services in G11 Sutton Hall no later than your first day of work.

    1. Undergraduate Employment Profile Sheet (to be completed electronically by the department in which you obtained a position)
    2. Clearance Confirmation (e-mail from Human Resources or MyIUP printout)
    3. Form I-9
    4. Form W-4
    5. Residency Certification Form
    6. Local Service Tax Exemption Form
    7. State Work Study Application
    8. Direct Deposit Form (optional, but strongly encouraged)

    International student employees are required by federal guidelines to provide the following documentation, in addition to the list above (forms can be found on the IUP Payroll website):

        • Passport
        • Visa
        • I-94 Departure Record
        • Ds-2019/IAP-66 Certificate of Eligibility For Exchange Visitor(J-1) Status or I-20
        • Statement of Citizenship Status and Taxation Form  

        (A Social Security card is required before starting work. For more information, please refer to the International Student Employment website under Resources for more information on Social Security numbers for F-1 and J-1 Visa Holders.)

        • Once employed, you will receive a regular paycheck every two weeks according to the Student Payroll Calendar.
          • Your pay will not automatically go toward your tuition or books.
        • Students cannot work or be paid for more than forty (40) hours per week when not attending classes.
        • Undergraduate students cannot work or be paid for more than twenty-five (25) hours per week while attending classes.
        • Graduate students cannot exceed forty (40) hours per week.
        • International students cannot work or be paid for more than twenty (20) hours per week while attending classes.