Readmission Procedures

  • Graduate students wishing to return to the university must contact the School of Graduate Studies and Research for specific instructions.

    Undergraduate students who have withdrawn from the university, or were not enrolled during the previous regular semester, must complete an Application for Readmission.

    An application can be obtained by:

    • Visit the MyIUP webpage:
      • Scroll down to the Former Students and Alumni section and click on the Former Student Login link.
      • Enter your User ID (eight-digit number beginning with the @ symbol) and your PIN.
      • Select Student Services.
      • Select Apply for Readmission to IUP.
    • Completing a paper Application for Readmission.
    • Calling or visiting the Office of the Registrar.

    The readmission deadline is one week prior to the start of the semester in which you are applying for readmission. 

    Requests for readmission for academically dismissed students or first-semester and transfer students who withdraw from the university voluntarily during their first semester of full-time enrollment will be forwarded to the Office of the Dean of the college in which the student was enrolled at the time of dismissal, or of total university withdrawal, for a decision on the student’s readmission.

    Decisions for readmission of students in university probationary or dismissed status, regardless of whether the student was dismissed by the university or the student voluntarily withdrew, are the responsibility of the Academic Standards Officer of the college the student wishes to enter. If the student is seeking admission to a new college, the officer of the new college will consult with the officer of the former college before making a decision. The Office of the Registrar will officially change the major based on the officer’s readmission letter to the student.

    All outstanding financial obligations to the university must be met before the Application for Readmission will be processed. Because of enrollment restrictions, requests for readmission to Nursing or to the College of Fine Arts will be forwarded for approval by a representative from that department or college.

    Readmitted students who have not been enrolled for two years or more may petition their college dean for application of the Cancelled Semester Policy, which provides for cancellation from the cumulative record of the effects of one semester below a GPA of 2.0. Students who have been separated from the university for two consecutive calendar years may petition their college dean to return under the Fresh Start Policy. Students must pay fees and attend classes before a designated semester will be cancelled or the Fresh Start Policy will take effect. See the Academic Policies section in the Undergraduate Catalog for more information on these policies.

    Once the application for readmission has been approved, the student will be sent instructions on how and when to register.

    Students readmitted to IUP are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine financial aid eligibility. Financial aid eligibility will be based on financial need, as determined by the FAFSA application, and on prior academic record.