Pre-Approval of Coursework at Another College/University

  • Students enrolled at IUP who wish to take coursework at another institution (either during the summer or regular semesters) must complete an Application for Pre-Approval of Coursework at Another College or University prior to taking the course(s).

    Only the credits from course(s) transfer, not the grade; therefore, students cannot use outside coursework for IUP’s repeat policy.

    Only the credits for which students receive the grade of A, B, or C will transfer. If P/F is the only grading option available, there must be a narrative evaluation from the faculty member certifying that the work was of C-level or better.

    No more than 60 semester hours total may be earned at a junior or community college for application toward an IUP degree. If the courses are being taken within the student’s last 30 credits, the course must be taken at IUP unless the student’s residence requirements for awarding degrees is waived by the college dean. Courses without prior approval are taken at the risk of the student; there is no obligation on the part of any officer of this university to accept or transfer such credit.

    Forms for approval of off-campus coursework are available in the office of the department chairperson of your major or the Office of Admissions/Transfer Services. Full directions are on the form which outlines the steps involving the pre-approval process. The form requires the signatures of the credit evaluator, department designee, and the associate dean of the student’s college.

    After completing off-campus coursework, student should have the institution at which the work was taken send a final official transcript directly the Office of Admissions, Transfer Services Sutton Hall, Room G-26, 1011 South Drive, Indiana, PA 15705. Copies of transcripts issued to or hand carried by students will not be accepted.

    Graduate students enrolled at IUP who wish to take coursework at another institution during the summer or regular semester must submit a written request for approval to the Graduate School along with a course description (syllabus or catalog description). Only credit for courses in which students receive B or better will transfer.

    After completing off-campus coursework, students should have the institution at which they took the course(s) send a final transcript to the Graduate School. Graduate students may transfer a maximum of six credits.

    For additional information about course equivalencies, visit Online Transfer Credit Equivalency System.