Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

...about the Office of the Registrar

When will I receive my diploma?

IUP has three graduation dates per year: May, August, and December. Diplomas are mailed approximately four weeks after the actual graduation date in these months because grades from a student’s final semester/session have to be evaluated by the student’s dean or department to assure that degree requirements have been met. When a student is cleared for graduation by his/her department or dean on the student database system, an auto-generated e-mail message alerts the Registrar’s Office of this clearance and the diploma is sent via Certified Mail to the student.

What do I do if my grade for a particular class is incorrect?

You should contact the instructor of the class. If the instructor determines that the grade should be changed, the change is initiated on a Grade Change Form signed by the instructor, course department chair, course dean, and student’s dean. Once the required signatures are in place, the form comes to the Registrar’s Office and the change is entered into the grade system. The student will be sent a corrected grade report by the Registrar’s Office. Incomplete grades (“I”) for which the work has been completed are converted to a grade via the process listed above. The student has until the end of the next regular semester to make up an incomplete grade or the “I” will be changed to an “F.”

What should I do if I am not receiving my bills and grades?

Students should check their mailing and permanent address information on URSA. The permanent address is the permanent residence that is listed on your federal tax forms. The mailing address applies only to students who wish to always have ALL their mailings (bills, grades, etc.) sent to an address other than their permanent address. If you need to change your address, you should login to the secure area on URSA and make the change.

What do I do if I am still enrolled and begin to receive notices to pay back my student loans?

You should come to the Registrar’s Office and request to have an enrollment verification sent to your lending agency. If you have received a deferment form from the agency, fill it out, sign it, and bring it to the Registrar’s Office. If you do not have a form, you may fill out and sign a Certification Request form in the Registrar’s Office. You must know the complete address of the lending agency. Enrollment verification can also be processed and sent for insurance or employment purposes via this same process.

What do I do if I forgot my Personal Identification Number (PIN) for scheduling classes?

Enter your ID number and leave the PIN blank. Click on the “Forgot PIN?” button. This will take you to a security question that you created the first time you logged into URSA. Providing the answer will allow you to create a new PIN. You will need to report in person to the Scheduling Center, located in Clark Hall, to have the PIN reset if you cannot recall the answer you created for your security question. You will be asked to produce a photo ID card to prove your identification.

Where can I get my alternate PIN?

Your alternate PIN number for Fall or Spring registration is given to you by your academic advisor. If you have already registered for classes in a given term, you may view your alternate PIN on URSA. Login to secure area, select “Student Services and Financial Aid,” “Registration,” “View your Alternate PIN.”

How do I get registered for a class that is restricted or closed?

If you are trying to register for a course and the message you receive is that the course is “Restricted—you are not authorized to schedule this,” you will need to contact the academic department offering the course for a restriction override permit. If the academic department decides that you have met the prerequisites, the proper departmental personnel will notify you to register yourself for a particular section of that course. If you try to register for a course that is closed, you must follow the same procedure—report to the academic department offering the course to receive permission to register yourself for the closed course.

How do I withdraw from a class?

If you wish to withdraw from a course during the semester, you may process this course withdrawal yourself anytime after the end of the official Drop/Add period and up to two-thirds of the way through the semester. You can process the withdrawal yourself by entering the secure area in URSA. Class lists will automatically reflect your withdrawal. There are no forms to complete. (Special note: If you want to process a total university withdrawal through the individual course withdrawal period, you may withdraw from all your classes via the URSA system. You should contact the Advising and Testing Center in Pratt Hall if you want to process a total university withdrawal after the individual course withdrawal deadline, but prior to the total university withdrawal deadline.)

How do I apply for the Pennsylvania residency tuition fees?

There is an appeal process, and it is recommended that an appointment be set up with the Residency Officer before completing any forms. The residency reclassification appeal and student domicile regulations can then be explained. After completing the appeal form, the student returns it, along with all supporting documentation, to the Residency Officer. The Residency Officer will mail a written decision of the appeal within thirty days of receipt of a complete appeal application. Select for more information about residency.

  • Registrar’s Office
  • Clark Hall
    1090 South Drive
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-2217
  • Fax: 724-357-4858
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • Summer Hours: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
  • (Excluding Holidays)