Punxsutawney Advance College Experience

  • students working with a professor at Punxsutawney campus

    • Want to get an advanced start on your college studies?
    • Want to guarantee your on-campus housing suite for the entire year?
    • Want to increase your chances for success at IUP?

    We have an answer for you.

    IUP Punxsutawney wants to offer you an exciting program. The Punxsutawney Advance College Experience (PACE) will run from July 2–August 4, 2016. Participants earn three credits in English, three credits in Fine Arts, and two credits in University Foundations, for a total of eight credits.

    The Fine Arts course is designed especially for our PACE students as an immersion in the arts. You will spend Monday through Thursday in the classroom, and Friday will take you “on the road” to musical and theatrical performances, as well as on museum and gallery visits. This course will be complemented with your basic or college writing course.

    After the PACE program, you will go home for a two-week break before returning for the fall semester. By completing PACE, you not only will have a head start on earning college credits, but you will also be much better prepared for being a full-time student.

    Students will be offered on-campus housing for the PACE program and will be guaranteed on-campus housing for fall and spring semesters.

    You don’t want to miss this opportunity! It is sure to be the best investment that you could make in the transition to your new life as a university student.

    Financial Aid/FAFSA

    If you are attending PACE 2016, you will need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The IUP School Code is 003277.

    You will complete two FAFSA forms. The deadline is for the summer term is June 30, 2016. The IUP deadline for fall 2016/spring 2017 is April 15, 2016, to receive maximum financial aid consideration.

    The 2015–16 FAFSA will give the Financial Aid office the information to put your aid in place for Summer, and the 2016–17 FAFSA will give the Financial Aid office the information to put your aid in place for fall 2016/spring 2017.

    What Do I Need to Complete the FAFSA?

    • For the 2015–16 FASFA, you will need 2014 tax return information for both parent and student, including W2s and record of any other money earned.
    • For the 2016–17 FASFA, you will need 2015 tax return information for both parent and student, including W2s and record of any other money earned. If the student or parent have untaxed income, you must have those records for both 2014 and 2015.
    • Some examples of untaxed income sources are as follows: Social Security, temporary assistance for needy families, welfare, veterans benefits records, and bank statements, including checking and savings accounts as well as any other asset account.
    • Social Security number. Make sure it is correct.
    • Driver’s license (if you have one)
    • Social Security number of parent
    • Alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

    Apply Online

    • The FAFSA may be filed online at the FAFSA website. If needed, a FAFSA worksheet may be printed from this site. The worksheet can assist you with gathering the information that will be requested on the website.
    • The FAFSA must be signed by both student and parent. If you would like to sign online, you must both first create an FSA ID. When creating the FSA ID, two different e-mails must be used—one for the parent and one for the student. The same e-mail cannot be used. At the end of the setup, you will be sent a security code to your e-mail. You need to type in that security code before setup is complete.
    • If you don’t have an FSA ID, you can complete and submit a FAFSA and print out a signature page after completion—but signing electronically is the fastest.

    The IUP Financial Aid office will put together an award package. You should receive two award letters detailing the award or your award—one for summer and one for fall/spring.

    PHEAA State Grant

    • PHEAA State Grant: If you would like to get PHEAA in the summer, you may complete a Summer PHEAA application. Please be aware that a student may only receive eight full-time semesters of PHEAA state grant for eight semesters, so if you use this grant in the summer then it will be considered one semester.
    • State Grant Status Notice: Once FAFSA is completed, PHEAA will direct you to the PHEAA website website to complete your state grant notice. You will complete the information online, print, sign, and send. (Send this back to PHEAA immediately. If this is not completed and returned, the student will not get the grant, even if otherwise eligible.)
    • Federal Pell Grant: Consideration for the Pell Grant is based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students will automatically be reviewed for this grant by the IUP Financial Aid Office once the FAFSA results are received.


    Make sure you indicate your interest in student loans on Question 31.

    • Federal Direct Stafford Loan: Information regarding the steps to complete a Stafford Loan application, electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN), and Stafford Loan entrance counseling via the Federal Student Aid Direct Loan website will be mailed to students with the financial aid award letter from the IUP Financial Aid Office. The Master Promissory Note and the Entrance Counseling must both be completed. If either of these steps are not completed, Stafford Loan money will not disburse to the student’s account. To complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling, go to the Federal Student Loans website.
    • Federal Direct Plus Loan: If a student is in need of additional funding, a Parent Plus Loan is another loan program that the family may consider. This loan is borrowed by the parent. If a parent applies for a Parent Plus Loan and is denied (approval is based on credit worthiness), an additional unsubsidized Stafford Loan may be added to the financial aid award. Additional information regarding the Parent Plus loan is available at the IUP Office of Financial Aid. To apply, a parent must go to the Federal Student Loans website.
    • Alternative/Private Loans: These loans are borrowed by the student, but usually the student needs a credit-worthy co-signer. For more information on these loans, please visit the Office of Financial Aid.

    Useful Information

    Keep copies of all paperwork you submit. In some cases, the Financial Aid office may request further documentation. When completing paperwork, make sure you complete every section on each form. Do not leave any blank items unless instructed to do so. This will result in a delay in the financial aid process.


    If you have any questions about financial aid, including loans, contact Colleen Casaday, director of Academic and Administrative Services, at 814-938-1164 or ccasaday@iup.edu. Students also may contact the IUP Financial Aid Office at 724-357-2218 or by e-mail at financial-aid@iup.edu.

    • Admissions/Housing: Contact Gina Bryant at 814-938-6711 or gbryant@iup.edu.
    • Billing: If you have questions about billing or payment plan, you can e-mail the Bursar’s office at bursars-office@iup.edu, or call 724-357-2207. All bills are only available online at URSA. Billing statements are sent to the student’s IUP e-mail account, and are not sent via U.S. Postal Service mail.