IUP artmark

Frequently Asked Questions: Students

  • Frequently asked questions about Payroll Services. Also see our FAQ for international students.

    If I am not eligible for Federal Work Study, is there any other type of on-campus employment available to me?

    Students not eligible for Federal Work Study can seek employment in offices that have university employment or grant funds available for students. Graduate assistants and teaching associates are authorized through the School of Graduate Studies and Research. Graduate directors and resident assistants are hired through the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

    How often are students paid?


    Can my pay be directly deposited? When is pay available?

    Any student who has an account with any bank can have his/her pay deposited. Pay deposited into the student’s bank is available at 5:00 a.m. on payday.

    Can I get a second campus job?

    Students are allowed a second job on campus as long as they do not exceed their total number of hours allowed to work per week. Undergraduates cannot work more than twenty-five (25) hours per week while attending classes. Graduate students cannot exceed forty (40) hours per week. International students cannot work or be paid for more than twenty (20) hours per week while attending classes.

    Can I work during a break?

    Students can work up to a maximum of forty hours per week during non-class periods of at least one week. The exception is the week of Fall and Spring registrations, when students can also exceed twenty hours.

    Am I eligible for student employment if I am not attending classes?

    Students are required to complete an Intention to Enroll form in the Student Payroll Services office. The student must have the intention of returning to school on at least a half-time basis in the session following the period of non-enrollment. Students are not permitted to request two back-to-back periods of non-enrollment and continue employment on the student payroll.

    Why am I required to present an original Social Security card? Where can I get a new one?

    Student payroll is required to issue all pay and W-2 forms in the exact name and Social Security number that are on file at the Social Security Administration. A penalty can be issued to the employee or employer if tax information is reported inaccurately. A new card can be applied for locally at the Social Security Administration office, 119 Professional Center, Suite 310, 1265 Wayne Avenue, Indiana.

    Where do I pick up my paycheck?

    Paychecks are picked up by each employing department and distributed to students.

    What is the wage pay rate?

    All students are paid the prevailing minimum wage. Graduate students are currently paid $8.25 per hour. Graduate directors, graduate assistants, teaching associates, resident assistants, and grant employees are paid an hourly or biweekly salary or stipend as determined by the program that employs them.