Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Financial Resources

Travel Awards

Travel awards assist students in presenting papers at professional meetings and conferences. Amounts available will vary. In the 2008–2009 academic year, doctoral students were eligible for travel awards up to $750 per year; master’s students were eligible for up to $500. The Student Travel Form must be completed and returned to the Graduate English office at least three weeks prior to the meeting date. Doctoral and master’s students need to follow different instruction forms. The travel expense voucher must be completed upon the student’s return to IUP. All forms are available on line from the School of Graduate Studies and Research or in hard copy from the Graduate English office.

Employment Programs

The student employment program provides an opportunity for graduate students to earn money to help finance educational expenses. There are two types of student employment programs at IUP: Federal College Work-Study Program (CWSP) and University Employment Program (UE). Both programs help defray the cost of education and add valuable practical experience to the student’s graduate education. Students may be employed for up to twenty hours per week when classes are in session and forty hours per week during vacation periods. All students, including international students, are eligible for the UE program. There is no application required. Financial need is not a criterion. For CWSP, however, eligibility is based on financial need as determined by the Pennsylvania State Grant and Federal Student Aid Application. This form is available in the Financial Aid office. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid office.

Student Loan Program

Guaranteed Student Loan (GSL) applications for U.S. citizens may be obtained through private lending institutions such as banks and credit unions. A Pennsylvania State Grant/Federal Student Application must also be filed. A subsidized GSL requires no payment of principal or interest until six months after the student ceases half-time attendance. Nonsubsidized GSLs require the student to make quarterly interest payments while enrolled and during the grace period. Financial need as determined by the Pennsylvania State Grant/Federal Student Aid Application determines whether all or part of the GSL is eligible for interest subsidy. Repayment of principal and interest begins six months after the student ceases half-time attendance.

Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS) are available through private lending institutions such as banks and credit unions and are administered in conjunction with the federal government. The interest rate is variable. Repayment of interest begins thirty days after the funds are received, with principal deferred while the student is enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Applications are available through your lender.

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency Alternative Loan may assist students who are ineligible for GSL/SLS or who need additional financing to meet educational costs. The interest rate is variable with repayment of principal and interest beginning thirty days after the funds are received. For an application, contact PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392 or write PHEAA, P.O. Box 2165, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2165. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid office.

In general, international students are not eligible for state or federal financial aid. You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Generally, you are an eligible non-citizen if you are: (1) a U.S. permanent resident and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551); (2) a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or (3) an other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Indefinite Parole,” “Humanitarian Parole,” or “Cuban-Haitian Entrant.” If you are in the U.S. on only an F1 or F2 student visa, or only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations), you are ineligible for federal financial aid.

You may want to search for non-IUP international scholarships and private loans. You might want to consider reviewing the following websites: EduPASS or International Education Financial Aid for additional information.

Alternative Loan Options

A wide variety of privately financed educational loan programs are available to IUP students and their families. Each of these programs offers unique terms and conditions that affect their availability in particular circumstances.

Some of the characteristics that you may want to evaluate include the interest rates, application fees, credit evaluation, deferment options, repayment plans, and applicability to unique circumstances, such as past due balances, academic progress requirements, program matriculation, and citizenship qualifications.

Although this information is provided for your review, IUP does not specifically endorse any of these loan programs. It is the responsibility of you, the consumer, to assess the advantages and disadvantages of these offerings and to make your selection based upon those features that best meet your financial needs. Please know you have the right to use the lender of your choice and are not limited to those on this list.

Please allow two to four weeks processing time for these loans once the lender has notified IUP of your eligibility.

Check the following link for more information on Alternative Private Loans.

Veterans’ Programs

IUP is approved to offer trainingfor U.S. citizens under the various G.I. Bills. Students who are entitled to training under one of these bills should contact the veterans counselor immediately after being accepted for admission to IUP in order to secure additional instructions. This procedure is necessary so veterans may be included on the monthly payrolls. The Office of the Veterans Counselor is in 302 Pratt Hall, 724-357-2234. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid office.

Outstanding Research Awards

Every year, the School of Graduate Studies and Research offers graduate students outstanding research awards. The awards are competitive and open to graduate students nominated by any department offering graduate courses.

One original proposal with the nominating letter must be submitted to Beverly Obitz in Room 120, Stright Hall. Guidelines for submissions are available from the School of Graduate Studies and Research. For more information, please call 724-357-2224 or e-mail Beverly Obitz at

The Gebhard Family M.A. TESOL Program Award for Creative Excellence

This is a $500 award funded by IUP Professor Emeritus Dr. Jerry Gebhard and his family that is offered once a year to one or two M.A. in TESOL students who have demonstrated outstanding progress and creativity in their overall work at IUP.

Research Grants

Research grants are intended to encourage students to undertake research and creative projects which will contribute new insights to the student’s academic field. Information and submission guidelines are available through the School of Graduate Studies and Research

  • Graduate Office: Composition and TESOL
  • Leonard Hall, Room 111
    421 North Walk
    Indiana, PA 15705-1094
  • Phone: 724-357-2263
  • Fax: 724-357-3056
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.