Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Throughout your career as a graduate student, required forms act as milestones documenting your academic progress.

The forms you will submit prior to starting your research and as part of finishing the degree process are listed below.

All forms are due in the Thesis-Dissertation Office by the final submission date for student theses/dissertations. Failure to submit any of the required paperwork will affect your graduation plans.

Before Starting Your Research

No student research can begin before a Research Topic Approval Form (RTAF) has been approved by the School of Graduate Studies and Research. When approval is granted, a letter will be sent to your IUP e-mail account. You may not commence research until you receive this letter.  Please read the instructions for completing this form.

This form requires signatures of the student’s committee members and graduate program coordinator. Therefore, it must be initiated by the student well ahead of the School of Graduate Studies and Research deadline.

Changes to your committee or research topic require one of the change forms listed above. Minor changes, including thesis/dissertation title changes, do not require the submission of a new RTAF.

Finishing Your Degree

In addition to submitting their theses/dissertations, graduate students are required to submit several forms to complete the graduation process.

Applying for Graduation

Master and doctoral degree candidates must apply for graduation online in URSA.

All students are required to apply for graduation by the established deadlines.

Students who need to provide graduation verification to prospective employers or sponsor program administrators prior to the official graduation date can request a letter by e-mailing

Forms for Electronic Dissertation and Thesis Submission

All dissertations must be submitted electronically; master’s students are encouraged to also submit their theses electronically.

See Preparing and Submitting Electronic Theses and Dissertations for final submission instructions.

Additional Forms

The Survey of Earned Doctorates is a federal survey that is conducted by the University of Chicago on behalf of several government agencies. All Ph.D. candidates are asked to complete this survey and submit it to the Thesis-Dissertation Office.

  • School of Graduate Studies and Research
  • Stright Hall, Room 101
    210 South Tenth Street
    Indiana, PA 15705-1048
  • Phone: 724-357-2222
  • Fax: 724-357-4862
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Summer: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.