Society of Professional Journalists
Monday, Jan. 25, 2010
IUP Stapleton Library/Java City
Mike Wilson, president
Melissa Thompson, vice president
David Loomis, faculty adviser
President Wilson called the meeting to order at 8:05 p.m.:
• SPJ leadership
Wilson read an email from SPJ secretary Ticairra Bazemore, who was unable to attend and volunteered to step down. Alycia King volunteered to take over the secretary position. SPJ treasurer Natalie Schaefer is attending school in California for the semester. An interim treasurer is sought to temporarily fill the position. All leadership positions will be up for annual election in April.
• J-Jobs Boot Camp II
• SPJ’s second event in a series is scheduled to be held in Davis 418 on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 5-6 p.m.-ish. Guest speakers include: Louis Estrada (IUP JRNL 1988), a reporter for The Washington Post for 10 years until 2006, when he left to become the primary care-giver to his infant son. He continues to contribute articles, mainly advance obituaries, to The Post. Dianne DeLisa (IUP JRNL/Comm Media, 1987), a news producer/director at WJAC-TV in Johnstown for 7.5 years, a marketing communications coordinator at Conemaugh Health System for 12.5 years, and is a communications specialist/technical writer at Concurrent Technologies Corporation in Johnstown for 2.5 years and counting. SPJ secretary Alycia King volunteered to pick up the refreshments for the event at 4:45 p.m. on Jan. 27. (The Oak Room is the pick-up point.)
• SPJ-sponsored symposium on Pennsylvania Right to Know Law, March 31, 2010.Discussion: Arrangements have been made, panelists have been confirmed, HUB Ohio Room has been reserved. Stay tuned for prep work to be done as event approaches.
• Annual SPJ fundraiser at The Brown Hotel (tentative date: Saturday, March 27) Discussion: Arrangements with performers (bluesman Jeff Kelley, former SPJ president and blues harpist Bill Harder, with band mate bassist Dave Busch; Mike Wilson with accompanist; Alycia King, Dave Loomis with band mates, and others) have been made. The Brown management has agreed to host and to give the gate proceeds to SPJ, as before.
• “Global Alert” radio program on WIUP-FM (90.1), sponsored by SPJ. The series of every-other-week Sunday shows on WIUP-FM is organizing for spring 2010. Reporters, announcers, producers welcome. Contact Mike Wilson, Garritt Fleming or Dave Loomis. Entry for Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters award for fall 2009 series is pending. (Deadline: Feb. 12, 2010) First show: Feb. 7 (tentative), 11 a.m.-noon, WIUP-FM studio. Topic: mountaintop mining (tentative)
• Recruiting for SPJ members. Vice president Thompson volunteered to register SPJ for the fall 2010 IUP Day event.
• IUP Facebook page. President Wilson, and Vice president Thompson volunteered to update.
• Spring 2010 SPJ membership meeting schedule: Every other Monday, 8 p.m., Stapleton Library/Java City. Meeting schedule: Feb. 8, Feb. 22, March 15, March 29, April 12, April 26.
• Meeting adjourned: 8:40 p.m.