Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

In attendance:  Asamoah, Blood, Branthoover, Brzycki, Chiarulli, Dadson, Donley, Janosko, Kemp, Kornfeld, McCoy, McDevitt, McFerron, O'Neil, Onyett, Pagnucci, Pankaj, Reed, Sherwood, Smith, Yuhas.

Excused:  Balint, Giever, Gillham, Gruber, McElroy, VanWieren, Woodland, Yost.   

Absent: 

Guest:  Cunningham.

Proceedings:

Approval of Minutes from the March 11, 2009 Meeting.

Minutes for the March 11, 2009 meeting were not available.  They will be distributed electronically when complete and presented at the next meeting for approval.  

Co-Chairs' Report:

Financial Report

Rick McFerron provided this report: 

 

 

Balance in SAP: $33,996.75

 

 

The Funds Review Subcommittee will recommend distributing $32,000 for the ACPAC Technological Exploration and Innovation Fund.  That will leave a working balance until the next fiscal year of $1,996.75.  ACPAC will not be incurring any expenses this year related to the Innovation Forum.

Membership

No changes in the membership.  An amendment to the Constitution and Bylaws has been proposed to address the lack of a faculty representative from Northpointe.

Announcements

URSA E-mail Enhancements -- A document is available from the ACPAC website that explains enhancements to the e-mail capabilities in URSA (see:  URSA E-mail)

UDB Continuous Term Processing  -- This proposed change in processing was discussed as outlined in the document circulated (see:  UDB Processing).  This change allows instructors to access services such as the CMS (WebCT/Moodle), the Project Directory Service, and Course/Section E-mail lists associated with specific courses and sections up to two semesters in the future.  Students will gain access to services as they register for the class.

Report from C-CUE Student Technology Forum -- C-CUE will continue to host the Student Technology Forum in the March of each year.  This year, two students from IUP presented.  Chris Richardson, an IUP student, won the first prize for his presentation in the Technology for the Classroom track. 

AY 09-10 Meeting Dates -- Dates for ACPAC meetings are posted on the website (meetings).

ACPAC website -- The ACPAC website is being converted to the new format.  Although there still is material on the old website, before the next meeting all content will be migrated and ACPAC will be notified.  The URL remains:  www.iup.edu/acpac.

Standing Reports:

Report from the DE Planning and Work Group (Brzycki)

The Accessibility Subcommittee answers to both the DE Planning and Work Group and ACPAC via the Online Learning Subcommittee.  Dolores distributed a document that proposes a process for review of online courses to assure compliance with Section 508 of the American Rehabilitation Act.  ACPAC members were asked to review the document and provide feedback to Dolores within the next two weeks.  Comments and suggestions will be summarized and this issue will come before ACPAC for approval at the next meeting.

Report from the CIO office (Balint)

Bill Balint was required at a meeting in Harrisburg and Todd Cunningham provided the report from the CIO Office.  The proposed Acceptable Use Policy has been approved by the Senate Library and Educational Services Committee and has been submitted for the Senate agenda on 21 April 2009.  The document has been provided to legal counsel for review and difficulties are not expected since most of the language has already been approved. 

IT Support Center Hours for the fall semester will be 7:30 AM until 5:30 PM.  Testscoring jobs can be accepted anytime through the drop box.

The 08-09 Technology Fee funds have allowed 115 new wireless access points to be installed.  The total access points are about 540.  Demand for wireless connections has grown substantially.  The coverage map available on the web will be changed to indicate areas that have limited or no coverage rather than areas that are covered.

Peer-to-peer networking will be blocked from the IUP network after commencement.  It is currently blocked on the wireless network and the acceptable use policy for ResNet forbids it.

Funds Review Subcommittee (McFerron)

McFerron presented the proposed distribution of funds for the ACPAC Technological Exploration and Innovation Fund (see:  funding).  This proposal was approved unanimously by ACPAC.  Deans and awardees will be contacted and arrangements will be made to transfer funds.  Awardees will be required to provide feedback to ACPAC by next spring.

Report from the Virtual Environments Coordinating Committee (Onyett)

No report.

Report from the Web Task Force (Pagnucci)

Gian Pagnucci reported that the university communications effort via the website and by other means is proving successful.  He will forward to ACPAC a report from the Web Team that gives the details of this project.  There was some discussion about efforts to explore social media such as Facebook and YouTube.  It has been suggested that student workers could review IUP-related content on Facebook.  There is a need to make more video content available on some of these sites.  ACPAC may want to support this effort by making video cameras more widely available.  The web team is focusing on converting administrative sites.  There are two new tools available through the CMS:  "sticky news" and a "sharing tool".  A new student portal is being discussed.

Report from the Student Computing Subcommittee (McDevitt)

Two additional questions for the student survey were discussed and approved.  Patrick hopes to release this survey very soon.  A prize will be offered as an enticement for students to respond.  The subcommittee is working on the Technology Civility poster. 

Report from the On-line Learning Subcommittee (Brzycki)

The Moodle implementation is proceeding.  Regarding the issue of Branding, a number of suggestions for a name for the CMS have been collected.  Any ACPAC member who wishes to work on this issue or has some suggestions, please contact Rick McFerron (jr.mcferron@iup.edu).  Dolores Brzycki and Todd VanWieren have been appointed to the PASSHE Accessibility Task Force.

Report from the Emerging Technologies Subcommittee (Onyett)

No report.

Report from the Student Operations Group (Pankaj)

Rick McFerron reported on the meeting held this morning.  Items being discussed by this group are:  the migration to Banner 8.x, the change in ethnicity coding, and the new process to allow students to designated others to review their records (such as academics, bursar, financial aid).  Typically this would be parents, but students will have the ability and authority to designated anyone to have access to their records.  Regarding Banner 8, it will have the capability to support electronic waiting lists.  Plans for implementation of this function are being explored by the A-deans.

Reports from the Action Teams:

Digital Repository Team -- Sherwood, Convener

No report. 

Joann Janosko announced the ETD 2009 conference to be held in Pittsburgh 10-13 June 2009.  Phil Zorich should be sending out additional information about discounts available for this conference.

Open Source Software Team -- Sherwood, Convener

Ken Sherwood brought forward recommendations for use of open file formats (see: Recommended File Formats).  After some discussion, ACPAC unanimously approved the adoption of these guidelines.  Announcement of these guidelines are pending the development of detailed information on the IT Support Center website.  ACPAC agreed that these recommended formats should be reviewed annually.  Therefore, this action team is suspended until Spring 2010.

PRS Team -- McFerron, Convener

Todd Cunningham reported that an agreement has been reached with Turning Technologies.  Plans will be developed to provide receivers in multi-media classrooms.  Faculty members will be given information on how they can take advantage of this effort if they are interested in using "clickers" in the classroom.  Students will be required to purchase the devices and will be able to register them for use at IUP.  More details on this effort will be provided as available.

Training/Professional Development Team -- Pagnucci, Convener

No report.

New Business:

Nominating Committee

Election of the Elected Co-chair should be held at the May meeting.  Gian Pagnucci agreed to chair the Nominating Action Team to bring forward a slate of candidates.

Proposed Amendment to Constitution and Bylaws

Changes were proposed to accommodate the difficulty in identifying a faculty representative from Northpointe.  Specifically, it is proposed one faculty member can represent both Northpointe and Punxsutawney.  To maintain the faculty proportion in the membership, an additional faculty-at-large appointment is suggested.  ACPAC agreed with these changes.  It was suggested that the language in the Constitution be modified to extend the elected co-chair term to two years.  McFerron will make this change and distribute the proposed Constitution and Bylaws so they can be voted on at the May meeting.

Web-based faculty employment application

Pankaj brought forward the suggestion from his college that a web-based employment application be considered.  This could eliminate many problems with excessive numbers of hard copies of documents and access to that material during a search.  ACPAC asked IT Services to bring this matter to Human Resources for consideration.

Web-based faculty advising of students

Pankaj brought this item forward as well.  His comments and the discussion that followed indicate that faculty members are frustrated by the advising process.  It has been suggested that an electronic tool to assist in advising would be very valuable.  While some indicated that the CAPP (Curriculum Advising and Program Planning) reports were useful, many indicated that additional information is needed.  An excessive amount of time is required for gathering accurate information for advising sessions.  ACPAC unanimously passed the following motion:

ACPAC requests IT Services to create a project to evaluate advising software, including the Degree Works product, that could be implemented as part of Banner.

ACPAC members should also discuss this issue with their respective A-deans in order to generate additional support for this effort.

Old Business:

Student Pictures

Responses from the colleges are uniformly positive in regard to the usefulness of using student pictures to assist in classroom management.  While processes and programs would have to be developed to use student pictures for such purposes as seating charts, ACPAC expressed a desire to resolve the question about access to the I-card pictures.  The following motion was passed:

ACPAC recommends to the Provost that authorization be granted to enable the use of the student I-card picture for academic purposes.

Optical Test Scoring

Deferred to the next meeting.

E-mail quotas

Deferred to the next meeting.

Recommendations for Improving IUP Communications

Deferred to the next meeting.

Other Business:

Review of I-mail

Lloyd Onyett suggested that the web-based I-mail service should be reviewed.  When this service was reviewed several years ago, some features, such as importing address books, were not available with any product.  ACPAC agreed that an action team should be formed to review web-based e-mail products.  Lloyd Onyett and Todd Cunningham will serve as co-chairs of the Web-based E-mail Review Action Team.  Those willing to help with this review, particularly faculty members, are invited to join the action team.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:06 PM.

Next Meeting:  May 6, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prepared by Rick McFerron.