Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions about the Office of International Education

How can I contact someone from my country?

IUP has more than 800 international students from more than 60 countries. See a list of student contacts and international club websites. If you cannot find your country listed, please contact and we will try to find someone from your country to contact you.

Here is a list of clubs you may want to contact:

  • Bangladeshi Student Association of IUP
  • Taiwanese Student Association
  • Chinese Student Association
  • Global Ambassadors
  • Indian Student Association
  • Japanese Student Association
  • Korean Student Association
  • Latino Student Association of IUP
  • Malaysian Student Association
  • Muslim Student Association
  • Pan-African Student Association
  • Saudi Student Association

When and how do I register for classes?

How do international students apply?

International students may apply online through Indiana University of Pennsylvania. See the procedures for international students to apply to IUP.

When can I expect to find out whether I have been admitted?

Notification of admission varies, but, in general, it takes two to four weeks for a decision to be made after the date your admission application is complete.

Once an international student is admitted, his/her acceptance letter is sent to the Office of International Education, which mails out all the acceptance packages to international students. These packages include an acceptance letter, immigration document, and orientation information and are mailed by airmail. Students interested in having their acceptance package mailed via DHL should contact the Office of International Education with credit card information.

Earliest dates for acceptance packages to be mailed to international students:

  • Fall enrollment: February
  • Spring enrollment: October
  • Summer enrollment: February

What do I need to do as an undergraduate international student (student on a non-immigrant visa)?

What do I need to do as a graduate student?

What English proficiency test is required for admission to IUP?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or International English Language Testing System (IELTS—only accepted for undergraduate admission), is an application requirement for all students whose native language is not English. Students who have earned a degree from a university in the United States or another English-speaking country may have the English proficiency test waived. Please check with the Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions offices for TOEFL waivers/exceptions.

Minimum Scores to Apply for Admission:

  • Paper-based TOEFL test: Undergraduate students: 500; Graduate students: 540, but might require up to 600

  • Computer-based TOEFL test: Undergraduate students: 173; Graduate students: 207, but might require up to 250

  • Internet-based TOEFL test: Undergraduate students: 61; Graduate students: 76

  • IELTS: Undergraduate Students: 5.5 minimum; Graduate Students: 6.0

For more information, see TOEFL or IELTS.

How can I improve my English-language skills?

The American Language Institute (ALI) can provide you with the English skills necessary for academic success. You are encouraged to enroll in ALI if you haven’t acquired the minimum TOEFL score to be admitted to IUP or if you need assistance in improving your language skills. The intensive programs are offered in each semester: Fall, Spring, and Summer, with two sessions per semester.

What is the international student financial statement?

All prospective international students must show the amount of money covering the cost of two semsters at IUP on their financial statement, as well as to provide a bank statement or letter from their sponsor for the first year at IUP.

An international student may use the IUP form for the financial statements for the following students: 1) Undergraduate and ALIP Students; 2) Graduate Students. Learn more about the costs at the Office of the Bursar.

About Sponsors

If an international student has a sponsor—a person willing to support the student while he or she is studying at IUP—then the sponsor must submit a letter indicating his or her willingness to support the student. The sponsor’s financial institution must sign the appropriate section of the IUP Affidavit of Financial support form.

Is there any financial assistance?

See information on financial assistance (Partial Tuition Waiver) for international students.

Are there any on-campus jobs?

International students may work on campus up to 20 hours a week during the semester and up to 40 hours a week during winter/spring break and summer. To find out about on-campus jobs, go to the Student Employment Center website. F-1/J-1 visa students are only eligible to work in jobs that are non-work study (federal).

In order to work on campus, international students must have a Social Security number. See procedures for applying for a Social Security number.

Remember, F-1 students may not work off campus without proper authorization from the Office of International Education or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

What is SEVIS for?

Because of the implementation of SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), home country address, city of citizenship, and city of birth must be recorded before a student visa may be issued. The SEVIS Information Form provides the Admission office with this information: SEVIS information.

How do I obtain an F-1 student visa?

You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the admission letter and I-20 from the Office of International Education.

How do I obtain a J-1 student visa?

You should apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country using the admission letter and DS-2019 from the Office of International Education.

Can I get some basic information about IUP?

See about IUP on the website.

What do I need to know about America?

  • Office of International Education
  • Delaney Hall, Suite B25
    920 Grant Street
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-2295
  • Fax: 724-357-2514
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.