Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Withdrawal, Suspension, or Absence from IUP

F-1 Students Only

IUP policies about academics will affect immigration. Please consult with your academic and international student advisor if you withdraw, are suspended, or will be absent from IUP for any period of time other than scheduled breaks, within reason.


You will have 15 days from the day you do a total university withdrawal to transfer to another academic institution, or pack your belongings to return home. Only F-1 students who complete their program or degree have a sixty-day grace period to leave the United States.

Dismissal or Suspension

You will have fifteen days from the day you receive a letter stating you are dismissed or suspended to transfer to another academic institution or to pack your belongings to return home. Graduate students who can no longer continue in their program because of a low grade-point average can apply for admission into another graduate program at IUP. Students who are dismissed or suspended because of judicial proceedings need to consult with the IUP Office of Student Conduct and the international student advisor.

One Semester Absence

If you plan on going home for personal emergencies or other reasons, please let the Office of International Education know to keep your SEVIS record active. You must return to the U.S. within five months of your departure to maintain the use of your current I-20 and visa. If you are gone for more than five months, a new I-20, I-901 Fee and visa are required.


Students who are absent for more than one semester need to check both immigration and academic status before returning to the U.S. Please see the International Student Readmission to IUP Form.

  • Office of International Education
  • Delaney Hall, Suite B25
    920 Grant Street
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-2295
  • Fax: 724-357-2514
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.