Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

School Counseling Certification Only

Requirements for "Certification Only".  Those students already possessing a master’s degree and desiring School Counseling certification (elementary or secondary) may apply to the counseling program for Certification Only status.

Applicants should contact the school counseling program coordinator to have their graduate transcript(s) evaluated to determine necessary course work to complete commonwealth graduate certification requirements. Applicants for “Certification Only” must meet similar admission requirements as degree-seeking applicants.  

For candidates that possess a master’s degree in a field that is not closely related to counseling, admission under “Certification Only Status” is only granted if you need 21 or fewer credits of the required coursework for the full 60-credit MEd in School Counseling. If you need more than 21 credits of coursework (1/3 of the program), then you must apply for the School Counseling MEd program. 

Correspondence regarding this site should be sent to its maintainer, Dr. Bob Witchel, at

Please see IUP’s statement regarding pages that do not officially represent the university.

  • Department of Counseling
  • Stouffer Hall, Room 206B
    1175 Maple Street
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-2306
  • Fax: 724-357-7821
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.