Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

How to Apply for Financial Aid

All students applying for financial assistance at IUP must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 15.

You may be requested to submit copies of your and your parents' federal income tax forms as well as other documentation to the Financial Aid Office at IUP. You will be notified in writing if the tax forms are required.

If you plan to apply for a Federal Stafford Loan, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer "YES" to the loan interest question. A Master Promissory Note (MPN) will be sent to you by PHEAA, if necessary, to complete the loan application process.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available at all Pennsylvania high schools and institutions of higher education. Out-of-state students may request a FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-433-3243.

If I have a financial aid award, how will I receive credit for this aid on the bill I receive from IUP?

The Accounts Receivable Office automatically deducts your financial aid from the bill sent to you at the beginning of each semester. The following financial aid programs can be deducted from your bill:

  • Federal Stafford Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Pennsylvania State Grant
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • IUP Scholarships
  • Federal PLUS Loan

*You may deduct semester scholarship amounts only if scholarship funds have been received by the university.

Aid that is not administered by the Financial Aid Office and late awards also are not deducted from your bill. An Installment Payment Plan (IPP) is available to assist you with meeting your institutional charges. Information on the IPP will be enclosed with your university bill. Students whose financial aid has been finalized can obtain refunds at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.