Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Male Survivors

If you or someone you know experiences violence, you're not alone. Help is available.

According to RAINN, one in six men will experience sexual assault before the age of 18, and one in 33 men will be the victim of attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. 

Know the Facts

Below is a list of facts pertaining to male survivors of violence. This list was adapted from, an organization designed to help men who have experienced violence live healthier, happier lives. 

  • Boys and men can be victims of violence and it has nothing to do with how masculine they are.
  • If a boy liked the attention he was getting, or got sexually aroused during abuse, or even sometimes wanted the attention or sexual contact, this does not mean he wanted or liked being manipulated or abused, or that any part of what happened, in any way, was his responsibility or fault.
  • Boys can be sexually abused by both straight men and gay men. Sexual abuse is the result of abusive behavior that takes advantage of a child’s vulnerability and is in no way related to the sexual orientation of the abusive person.
  • Whether he is gay, straight or bisexual, a boy’s sexual orientation is neither the cause or the result of sexual abuse. By focusing on the abusive nature of sexual abuse rather than the sexual aspects of the interaction, it becomes easier to understand that sexual abuse has nothing to do with a boy’s sexual orientation.
  • Girls and women can sexually abuse boys. The boys are not “lucky,” but exploited and harmed.
  • Most boys who are sexually abused will not go on to sexually abuse others.

If You’ve been Assaulted

It is not your fault if you experience sexual assault. Below is a list of steps you may consider taking after an assault. Please remember, the road to healing may be a tough one, but you certainly don’t have to travel it alone.  If you have questions or would like to talk to someone about an assault, you may contact the Haven Project at the Counseling Center or your local crisis hotline.

Seeking Medical Attention 

If you have been abused or assaulted, you may need medical care. To get medical help, immediately go to the nearest emergency department. If you were sexually assaulted, you should receive information about disease prevention. You can also have evidence collected at an emergency department. Evidence collection should occur as soon as possible. 

To preserve evidence, you should not:

  • shower, bathe, or wash any part of your body
  • use the restroom
  • change clothes
  • brush your teeth or gargle
  • comb your hair
  • clean up the crime scene
  • move anything the offender may have touched

If you are a student and do not wish to have evidence collection completed, you can seek medical care at the Health Service at the Center for Health and Well-Being

Seeking Emotional Support

IUP’s Counseling Center is part of the Haven Project. Confidential services are available by calling 724-357-2621. Survivors of sexual violence often find counseling an important part of their healing. Whether the violence was recent or a long time ago, you can receive help. 

Reporting Sexual Violence

You have the right to report sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking to the police. To file a criminal complaint, contact University Police at (724) 357-2141 or call 9-1-1.

If the perpetrator is affiliated with IUP, you can also report the violence to the university. 

  • If the perpetrator is an IUP student, you can report to the Office of Student Conduct. Student Conduct will investigate the alleged violence. Information about this process and possible sanctions are available in the student handbook, The Source.
  • If the perpetrator is a university employee, volunteer, or vendor, report to the associate vice president for Human Resources.

You can also report to the university without filing a criminal complaint. 

Reporting to the police may seem intimidating. You can request that an advocate accompany you by calling your local crisis hotline.

Victims are not required to report sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking to the police or the Office of Student Conduct. You can receive university services regardless of whether or not you report an act of violence. Because the university wants to prevent future sexual violence, you are encouraged to report.

If you have questions or would like to speak to someone about resources for survivors of violence, help is available.

Contact the Haven Project at (724) 357-4799 or the Counseling Center at (724) 357-2621. Both services are provided by the Center for Health and Well-Being, located in the Suites on Maple East.

You may also contact your local crisis hotline:

IUP at Indiana

IUP Punxsutawney

IUP at Northpointe

IUP at Monroeville