Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

If you or someone you know experiences violence, you're not alone. Help is available.

What is Stalking?

Stalking is a pattern of repeated and unwanted attention, harassment, contact, or any other course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to feel fear. (USDOJ)

Student Conduct Policy

Individuals that commit stalking are in violation of the following student conduct policy: 

  • Stalking: repeated conduct toward another person including (but not limited to) willfully following and/or contacting someone verbally, in writing, by telephone, electronic media, a third party, or by another means with the intent and/or effect of creating fear or emotional distress. (The Source, IUP Student Policy Guide)

Know the Facts

According to the Stalking Resource Center:

  • 6.6 million people are stalked in one year in the United States.
  • One in six women and one in 19 men have experienced stalking at some point in their lifetime.
  • The majority of stalking victims are stalked by someone they know.

Stalking Behaviors

Most stalking behaviors do not classify as an illegal behavior. If an individual exhibits the following behaviors, you express that this attention is unwanted, and it causes you reasonable fear, it may classify as stalking. This list is provided by the Stalking Resource Center:

  • Follows you and shows up wherever you are
  • Sends unwanted gifts, letters, cards, or e-mails
  • Damages your home, car or other property
  • Monitors your phone calls or computer sue
  • Uses technology to track where you go
  • Drives by or hangs out at your home, class, or work
  • Threatens to hurt you, your family, friends, or pets
  • Finds out about you using public records or online searches
  • Posts information or spreads rumors about you on the Internet, in a public place, or by word of mouth
  • Other actions that control, track, or frighten you

If someone is exhibiting stalking behaviors and making you feel uncomfortable, help is available. Contact the Haven Project at the Alice Paul House or the IUP Counseling Center. If you feel as if you are unsafe or in immediate danger, contact 9-1-1.

If You’re being Stalked

It is not your fault if you experience stalking. Below is a list of steps you may consider taking to increase your safety. Please remember, the road to healing may be a tough one, but you certainly don’t have to travel it alone.  If you have questions or would like to talk to someone you may contact the Haven Project at the Counseling Center and/or the Haven Project at the Alice Paul House. The Alice Paul House is available 24/7 by calling the crisis hotline at (724) 349-4444.

Working with and Advocate

You can request to meet with an advocate by calling the Alice Paul House at (724) 349-4444. This individual will provide information about services and support you if you decide to take your case to the Office of Student Conduct and/or criminal proceedings.

Seeking Emotional Support

IUP’s Counseling Center is part of the Haven Project. Confidential services are available by calling 724-357-2621.

Reporting Stalking

You have the right to report sexual assault, domestic/ dating violence, or stalking to the police. To file a criminal complaint, contact University Police at (724) 357-2621 or call 9-1-1.

If the perpetrator is affiliated with IUP, you can also report the violence to the university. 

  • If the perpetrator is an IUP student, you can report to the Office of Student Conduct. Student Conduct will investigate the alleged violence. Information about this process and possible sanctions are available in the student handbook, The Source.
  • If the perpetrator is a university employee, volunteer, or vendor, report to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.

You can also report to the university without filing a criminal complaint. 

Reporting to the police may seem intimidating. You can request that an advocate accompany you by calling the Alice Paul House at (724) 349-4444.

Victims are not required to report sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking to the police or the Office of Student Conduct. You can receive university services regardless of whether or not you report an act of violence. Because the university wants to prevent future sexual violence, you are encouraged to report. 

If you have questions or would like to speak to someone about resources for survivors of violence, help is available.

Contact the Haven Project at (724) 357-4799 or the Counseling Center at (724) 357-2621. Both services are provided by the Center for Health and Well-Being, located in the Suites on Maple East.

You may also contact your local crisis hotline:

  • Suites on Maple-East
  • Suite G-59
    901 Maple Street
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-4799
  • Fax: 724-357-4457
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.