Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

IUP Home | A–Z Index | Apply Now | Support IUP | News and Events | Find People |

Employment and Training for F Visa Holders

Information workshops are held each semester by the international student advisor.

Check the International Education events calendar for details.

On-Campus Employment

All F-1 or J-1 students are eligible to begin on-campus work no earlier than thirty days before the start date on their I-20 and must end before or on the end date of their I-20 and can only apply for state work study jobs.

Check the Student Employment Center website for available positions.

On-campus employment by F-1 or J-1 students is permitted as long as the student works no more than twenty hours a week while school is in session. Students may be employed full time during vacations and recess periods as long as they intend to register for the next term.

On-campus employment means employment performed on the premises of the school or at an affiliated off-campus location. On-campus employment may be of a type normally performed by students, such as work in the school library, cafeterias, computer center, or in a students' store, or employment that is part of a student's scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship.

Under no circumstances are students permitted to accept off-campus employment without the authorization of the Office of International Education and/or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To do so is to violate USCIS law and would seriously jeopardize your F-1 or J-1 visa status.

Students working on campus are exempt from having to obtain an employment authorization card (EAD) from USCIS.