Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

What can I do with a degree in Nutrition?

Clinical Settings

Provide medical nutrition therapy in settings such as hospitals, outpatient clinics, nursing homes, or health maintenance organizations (HMOs). Offer nutrition counseling and education in outpatient settings, such as diabetes care centers and renal dialysis centers.

Community and public health setting

Provide teaching, counseling, or consultation to promote health in the public sector; plan, implementation, administer, and advocate at various levels of government. Work settings include social service agencies, community centers, or WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) programs.

Food Service Management

Oversee menu planning, budgeting, purchasing, food preparation, and personnel management in a variety of settings, such as long-term care facilities, hospitals, school districts, or correctional facilities.

Food and nutrition-related business and industries

Work for food companies, commodity groups, grocers, restaurants, and other health-related industries to provide such services as product development and analysis, communications, consumer affairs, public relations, and marketing.

Federal government

Monitor food production or nutrient intake, produce educational materials, develop food-related legislation, or conduct basic or applied research. Many agencies employ registered dietitians or those with degrees in nutrition, particularly the USDA and the FDA. Additionally, there are employment opportunities with the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the National Institutes of Health.

Teaching and research

Teaching and research opportunities exist in settings such as colleges and universities, food and pharmaceutical companies, teaching hospitals, community and technical schools, and government agencies.

Many of the positions described require the Registered Dietitian (R.D.) credential. Please visit the Becoming an R.D. section for more information.

  • Food and Nutrition Department
  • Ackerman Hall, Room 102
    911 South Drive
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-4440
  • Fax: 724-357-3007
  • Semester Office Hours
  • Monday–Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.– Noon
  • 1:00–4:30 p.m.