Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Graduate Program FAQ

Find the answers you are looking for regarding: graduate admissions process, program costs and financial aid, and curriculum and online learning requirements.

How do I apply to the program?

Visit the graduate admissions page to apply online. There is a nonrefundable $50 application fee.

Applicants must submit:

  • Official transcripts from every college or university attended, whether or not a degree was earned. If undergraduate degree was earned at IUP, official transcripts are not required.
  • One- to two-page Goal Statement, indicating career and academic goals.
  • Two letters of recommendation submitted via e-mail to or via U.S. postal mail. Recommenders should include your full name and the program to which you are applying.

Do I need to take the GRE?

Yes, you will need to complete the GRE.

What is the deadline for submitting my application?

Applications are considered under a “rolling admissions” process.

What are the eligibility requirements for applying to the program and to the Graduate School?

  • Earned an undergraduate degree in nutrition or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university, including previous coursework in a few prerequisites (listed below).
  • Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
  • Completion of the Graduate Record Examination with a preferred score of 153 or higher in Verbal Reasoning and 144 or higher in Quantitative Reasoning (based on test standards after August 2011).

What are the prerequisites for the program?

Admission requires coursework in:

  • Basic Nutrition (equivalent to FDNT 212)
  • Advanced Human Nutrition (equivalent to FDNT 558)
  • Biochemistry (equivalent to CHEM 255)
  • Anatomy and Physiology (equivalent to BIOL 155)

Will credits from another university transfer to IUP?

Up to six credits of graduate coursework taken within the past five years may, with written approval, be transferred. The grade earned must be a “B” or its equivalent or better. Students must complete the Request for Graduate Transfer Credit Review and submit additional items. For more detailed information, please visit Transfer Credit Policy page.

Will the degree allow me to sit for the Registered Dietitian (RD) exam?

Completion of the M.S. is not a route to becoming a registered dietitian. If you already have an undergraduate degree in dietetics from an accredited university, then please visit the IUP Dietetic Internship page. Also, more information about how to become a registered dietitian is found at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website.

How much does the program cost?

Please visit the Office of the Bursar for the most updated graduate tuition and fees.

Are graduate assistantships available?

Those living within commuting distance to Indiana, Pa., may want to consider applying for graduate assistantships at IUP. Assistantships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and include a partial to full tuition waiver and a specific stipend amount. Applications for graduate assistantships must be submitted by March 15 for consideration for the next academic year. Click here for more information about graduate assistantships, including the application form for graduate assistantships.

Where can I obtain information on financial aid?

You can find more information about financial aid by visiting the Office of Financial Aid website.

How do I know if an online learning program is right for me?

Online learning is a great option for individuals with full-time jobs and who need the flexibility of working at their own pace to complete the degree requirements.

What is the time commitment for the online M.S. in Nutrition courses?

For full-time graduate students, the program is designed to be completed in two years, with Fall and Spring semester enrollments in each year. It may be possible for students who elect to enroll in Summer elective courses to complete requirements in three semesters.

Will I ever need to be on campus for a course, meeting, etc?

Currently, the required statistics course is only offered as a traditional in-person class. You may elect to take an equivalent course at an accredited institution near your place of residence or online. Please check with the graduate faculty coordinator before registering.

Is there a time limit for completing the program?

Master’s students must complete degree requirements within five years from the first date of earning or transferring credit. For special circumstances, the period may be extended through a student petition if approved by both the student’s department and the dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Research.

How do I register for classes?

You will register for classes online through URSA. It is recommended that you talk with your advisor prior to registering. A
How to Register video is available that will walk you through the registration process.

What is the minimum number of credits students are required to take each semester?

There is no minimum number of credits. In order to receive financial aid, a student must be at least half-time (4.5 credits). A full load for graduate students is 9 credits. Graduate assistantships do have minimum credit registration requirements.

Are courses offered over the summer and during winter break?

Most graduate FDNT courses are offered in the Fall and Spring semesters. However, some courses are offered in the Summer.

What kinds of elective courses can I take? Do I have the option of taking these courses in class or online?

Students can elect additional courses from the IUP Graduate Catalog (including FDNT courses or through other departments) that are appropriate for their needs and interests. Advisors will approve elective choices. Some courses outside of the department may be offered online.

Will my diploma indicate that the degree was obtained online?

No, you will obtain the same degree as that of an on-campus student. The courses are taught by the same faculty that teach on campus, and the curriculum is the same.

What is the best way to contact my professors? Will my professors be available to meet me in person if needed?

This will depend on the professor. E-mail is usually the most efficient way to communicate with professors of online courses. Contact your professor at the beginning of the course to ask what the best way is to get in touch with them. Many professors hold office hours on certain days of the week and often allow students to make appointments outside of these hours, if necessary.

What are Learning Management Systems (LMS)?

LMSs are what you can consider the “classroom” in online education. Currently, IUP courses utilize two LMS platforms, Moodle and D2L. More information about Moodle and D2L can be found by visiting the IT Support Center website.

Where can I get help with technical issues?

To obtain technical support for computer issues, you may contact IUP’s IT Support Center Monday–Friday between 7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time by logging a ticket at ihelp. If you have trouble accessing this site, please call 724-357-4000.

What hardware and software programs are required for online courses of the program?

  • You must have a computer with reliable Internet connection (preferably a broadband connection) that will sufficiently support your ability to watch streaming video (e.g., YouTube, Netflix).
  • The following software is required to view course content and to participate in planned course activities:
    • Adobe Reader
    • Flash Player
    • Adobe Shockwave Player
    • Microsoft Office
    • Access to a Web browser (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer)
  • In addition, many courses use Wimba classrooms for Web conferencing sessions. To assure your computer is set up for Wimba, run the Wimba SetUp Wizard. You will need to make sure that you have disabled pop-ups on your browser and that your microphone is plugged in and turned on.

What other materials, equipment, or technological devices are required for the courses?

A microphone-equipped computer or an external headset microphone is strongly recommended. Many courses will require you to present via Web conferencing at scheduled points throughout the semester.

You can look up, and purchase if desired, required textbooks by course and section at IUP’s Co-Op Store.

  • Food and Nutrition Department
  • Ackerman Hall, Room 102
    911 South Drive
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-4440
  • Fax: 724-357-3007
  • Semester Office Hours
  • Monday–Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.– Noon
  • 1:00–4:30 p.m.