Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

How Drops and Withdrawals Affect Your Financial Aid Eligibility

Reminder: It is important to always consult with your academic advisor and/or the Advising and Testing Office prior to dropping or withdrawing from courses.

Future Financial Aid Eligibility

PHEAA State Grant Academic Progress

*Programs affected: PHEAA State Grant

PHEAA Academic Progress reviews typically begin in June for students who previously received one or more PHEAA Grants, have been tentatively awarded a PHEAA Grant for the upcoming fall term, and who are registered to attend at least half-time for the upcoming fall term.

Students who were awarded a PHEAA Grant during the previous academic year, including the prior summer term, will be evaluated for credits earned during that year. Students who were awarded a PHEAA Grant prior to the previous academic year will be evaluated for credits earned during and since that year. In general, to make satisfactory academic progress for the PHEAA Grant Program, the student must earn at least 12 new (a repeat of a course in which the student previously earned a grade of "D" or better will not be considered new), non-remedial (remedial courses are those with a section number of less than 100) credits for each term a PHEAA Grant was received in the prior academic year in question.

Students who have not achieved PHEAA Grant Academic Progress will be ineligible for a PHEAA Grant until the semester after they have earned additional credits to demonstrate that Academic Progress has been met. Because the winter and spring terms are combined for financial aid purposes, credits earned in the winter term cannot be used to reinstate eligibility for the following spring term.

Students who believe that they had mitigating circumstances that prevented them from achieving PHEAA Grant Academic Progress may appeal the denial. Appeals must be made by submitting the PHEAA Grant Academic Progress Exception Form available at to the Financial Aid Office, which will forward the information directly to PHEAA for review.

Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress

*Programs affected: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized), Federal Perkins Loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Work Study (FWS), and various alternative loans

To be in good standing for federal student aid, both undergraduate and graduate students must cumulatively pass at least 67 percent of the cumulative number of attempted credits at IUP and not exceed 180 attempted credits (180-credit limit is for undergraduates only). “Attempted credits” is the number of credits for which a student is enrolled at the end of the Drop/Add period. Each student will be measured for sufficient progress annually in May after Spring grade processing. This evaluation will determine if the student has a sufficient percentage of credits earned in order to be eligible for Title IV funding for the next financial aid award year (July 1 through June 30). Students who do not maintain this academic progress are eligible to appeal their academic progress with the IUP Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Appeal forms will be mailed to students who have filed a FAFSA for the academic year in question.  Forms can also be obtained from the Financial Aid counter in the lobby of Clark Hall. Complete information can be obtained in the IUP Undergraduate Catalog. Federal regulations about this program changed effective July 1, 2011.

0.00 GPA at the End of a Semester

*Programs affected: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized), Federal Perkins Loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Work Study (FWS).

Students who earn a 0.00 GPA at the end of a term, and if that GPA consists of “F”, “I,” and/or “*” grades, are considered to have unofficially withdrawn and must provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office from their instructors confirming the last date of academically-related activity for the semester. Failure to document academically-related activity beyond 60 percent of the semester will result in a reduction of federal financial aid for the semester in which the 0.00 GPA was received. Generally, the recalculation is performed using a date that equals the student attending 50 percent of the semester. Students are responsible for any resulting balance owed to the university.

Current Financial Aid Eligibility

Since the effect of dropping a course or withdrawing from a semester is very student- and date-specific, please be sure to contact the Financial Aid Office and the Bursar’s Office to determine how this will affect your current financial aid and charges. These offices are housed in Clark Hall.

Payment of Pell Grants to Students’ Accounts

Pell grant amounts are determined based on the student's enrollment status (i.e. full-time, half-time, three-quarter-time) on the 15th day of each semester. If a student is originally registered as a full-time student, but subsequently completes an individual course withdrawal from a course(s) and is part-time on the 15th day of the semester, the Pell grant amount will be based on the enrollment status on the 15th day, regardless of whether or not the student is being charged full-time on his or her student account.

Undergraduate Direct Loan Information

Please note: The maximum Direct Loan a student may borrow is based, in part, on the number of credits a student has completed at the time the loan is awarded.

Freshmen-level loans: 0–29.99 credits completed
Sophomore-level loans: 30–59.99 credits completed
Junior- and senior-level loans: 60+ credits

Repeated Courses

Courses for which a student receives a passing grade can only be repeated one additional time to be considered part of the student’s enrollment for that particular semester. If a student is enrolled in a semester and his schedule includes a course that was previously passed two times, that course will not be counted towards enrollment for financial aid purposes for that semester, and aid may be adjusted accordingly.