Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

Here are answers to some of the most common questions about the program of Master of Education in Literacy and Reading Specialist Certification.

How do I apply to the program?

Contact the School of Graduate Studies and Research (724-357-2222) for an admission packet. In addition to filling out the application form, you will need to arrange to:

  • Have your transcripts sent to the graduate school
  • Arrange for letters of recommendation from two individuals who can address your potential for engaging in graduate studies
  • Compose a well-written 250-word narrative that describes your academic and personal goals as they relate to this program.

If you are accepted, you will be granted precandidacy status.

How do I achieve candidacy status?

Candidacy status is awarded after you have completed 12 credits with a grade-point average of B or better.

Should courses be taken in a specific sequence?

Certain courses should be taken in a specific sequence:

  • LTCY 600 must precede LTCY 701, LTCY 705, LTCY 770 and 771, LTCY 635, and LTCY 644 (or be taken at the same time as 644 or 635).
  • LTCY 701 and LTCY 644 should precede LTCY 705.
  • Classes in section A (600, 701, 702, 705, 644), section C (LTCY 607) must precede 770/771 and section D (LTCY 698) .
  • Courses in sections E (Elective) may be taken at any time.

Is it possible to transfer courses from another institution into the program?

Yes, it is possible to transfer up to six graduate credits into the program, providing those credits were taken within five years of the request for transfer, the course is equivalent to the course for which they will substitute, and a grade of “B” or better was earned in the course(s).

Students need to discuss the transfer with the Literacy program coordinator and submit a form to the graduate school requesting acceptance of the transfer credits. The form will describe the course that the student wishes to transfer and indicate the master’s in Literacy course for which the transfer course will substitute. You must also provide an official transcript when the course is completed. Refer to “Transfer Credits” in the graduate catalog (six credits—five-year limit). If a student is already in the IUP program, transfer credits must be pre-approved.

Is it possible to substitute an IUP course for a course in the M.Ed. in Literacy program?

Under certain circumstances, it is possible to substitute some courses within the M.Ed. in Literacy program. Before taking the course, students need to discuss the substitution with the Literacy Program coordinator and send a letter to the Graduate School requesting acceptance of the substitution. The letter should describe the course that the student wishes to substitute and indicate the M.Ed. in Literacy course for which the substitution will count. One example of an acceptable substitution is ENGL 690 and ENGL 730 (South-central Pennsylvania Writing Project) for C (related area) and F (elective).

What procedures do I follow for graduation?

In the semester before completing all of your courses, obtain a graduation form from the Graduate School. The deadlines for graduation application are March 1 for May graduation, June 1 for August graduation, and October 1 for December graduation. Information about the May graduation ceremony is obtained from the Graduate School. Your diploma will say “Master in Education” (all do); your transcript and other information will indicate “Literacy.”

How do I obtain my Reading Specialist Certification?

At (or near) the completion of your 27 credits for Reading Specialist Certification, you need to take the Praxis II test for Reading Specialists. Call the IUP Career Development Center for times and dates, 724-357-2235, or check online at the ETS website. Dates of tests and dates for registration are provided. There is one date every month. Then, complete the application for certification using TIMS (Teacher Information Management System).

TIMS User Guide 

Is there a time limit for completing the program?

Yes, there is a five-year time limit for completing the program. However, students are expected to be continuously enrolled in courses.

  • Professional Studies in Education Department
  • Davis Hall, Room 303
    570 South Eleventh Street
    Indiana, PA 15705-1080
  • Phone: 724-357-2400
  • Fax: 724-357-2961
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.