Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

International students at IUP

We are very happy to have a diverse group of international students. We’ve developed some resources and events to help you during your time at IUP. Please remember it is your responsibility to maintain your visa status.

F-1 students: please send questions to Jessica Dories at

J-1 students, scholars, and visitors: please send questions to Christina Arroyo at

Background Check Document icon
Information about Background Check
Driving, Licenses, Pennsylvania Identification
Information on how to apply for a driver's license or Pennsylvania identification card, how to obtain a car, and other driving resources 
Information for F and J visa holders who want to apply for on- or off-campus jobs, Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Academic Training
ESL-Academic Help
Need help with your writing, homework or speaking? Find a list of resources here.
Financial Assistance and Partial Tuition Waiver
Partial tuition waivers are allocated to international students based on financial need.
Forms and Applications
Forms and Applications from the Office of International Education
Health Insurance
IUP strongly recommends that international students purchase health insurance.
Housing and Food
Find out what type of housing is available on campus and off campus and what food options you will have.
A guide to immigration and visa information for the international student
International Clubs, Programs, Events
Conversation Partner, CultureLinks, International Friendship Community, student organizations, volunteer opportunities
International Student Handbook Document icon
International Student and Scholar International Handbook
Related Sites
Information about related sites of the Office of International Education.
Reporting USA Address for Immigration Purposes
Students and scholars are required to report their USA address to the Department of Homeland Security.
Social Security Numbers for Visa Holders
The Social Security Administration now requires all F-1 and J-1 students to supply evidence of employment before being issued a Social Security number.
There are three types of income tax returns international students must file: federal, state, and local taxes.
Transportation to U.S. and IUP
Answers to questions about when and how international students can come to IUP and more
Helpful information for international students who plan to travel outside the United States
Universitas, a publication of the Office of International Education, provides the latest information on international activities at IUP as well as useful information for our international students.
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.