The IUP Music Department and Tuba and Euphonium Studio will host its annual OcTUBAfest October 21 through 24, 2009. This year’s line-up features world-renowned tuba soloist Øystein Baadsvik of Norway as a featured guest artist.
OcTUBAfest is a national event started by Harvey Phillips at Indiana University to feature the tuba and euphonium in solo and chamber settings. Gary Bird, a retired IUP Music Department professor and student of Phillips, made OcTUBAfest an annual event at IUP during his tenure at the university.
Øystein Baadsvik is a virtuoso on the tuba who has performed as a soloist with many of the world’s greatest orchestras as well as in New York’s famed Carnegie Hall. He has also led master classes at international conferences and universities across the United States. Baadsvik’s diverse program at IUP will include Three Tangos by Astor Piazzola, Encounters II by William Kraft, and "Winter" from Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, originally composed for violin.
The 2009 IUP OcTUBAfest Schedule
- October 21, 8:00 p.m., Gorell Recital Hall, Zach Collins, Faculty Recital, accompanied by James Staples
- October 22, 2:00 p.m., Cogswell Hall 121. Øystein Baadsvik Master Class
- October 22, 8:00 p.m., Gorell Recital Hall, Øystein Baadsvik, Guest Artist Recital, accompanied by Henry Wong Doe
- October 23, 8:00 p.m., Gorell Recital Hall. Student Showcase, IUP tuba and euphonium students perform solos
- October 23, 11:00 a.m., Gorell Recital Hall, Student Showcase, addiional performances
- October 23, 2:00 p.m., Cogswell Hall 121, Tubaphonium Ensemble Concert
All events are free.