The Environmental Health and Safety Department, along with the Department of Public Safety, will conduct unannounced fire drills throughout campus during the next several weeks.
IUP is required by the Commonwealth to perform one drill per building per semester during normal times of occupancy. These drills are performed to familiarize everyone with evacuation procedures should the need arise to clear the building. The fire drill represents an emergency situation. This practice may save lives in the event of a real emergency.
Guidelines to Follow When the Building Fire Alarm Sounds:
- Upon hearing or seeing the fire alarm, all occupants shall immediately evacuate the building through the nearest and safest exit(s). If the path is blocked, use an alternate route.
- Please refrain from calling University Police to ask if this is a drill.
- Occupants must not use the elevators during an evacuation. Physically impaired occupants may need assistance in evacuating the building.
- Upon leaving the building, move far enough away from the building to allow emergency vehicles and personnel easy access.
- Please remain outside the building until instructed to return by University Police or an Environmental Health and Safety employee.
Please inform the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 724-357-5705 or email@example.com if there are any events scheduled where a drill would be extremely disruptive.
Thank you very much for your cooperation with this very important Life Safety Drill.