IUP recently called on James Watkins, 80, of White Township, a retired stonemason, to lay mortar for the final stone atop a seven-by-50-foot wall in the courtyard of the suite-style student-housing buildings along Grant and Maple streets. Stones used to build the wall were taken from the landmark retaining wall, commonly known as the Stonewall, which was razed last year for construction of the Residential Revival’s Delaney Hall and Suites on Maple buildings. As a teenager, Watkins helped build the original stone wall, funded through the Work Projects Administration, formerly the Works Progress Administration, in the early 1940s.
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007–17 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100