The Six O’Clock Series presented “Making Your Summer Work for You” on April 15, 2013, at 6:00 p.m. in the HUB Ohio Room.
A panel of career experts and employers discussed the impact summer employment can have on future career status. Panelists represented PNC Bank, the Alice Paul House, the Disney College Program, and the Washington Center. They presented statistics on summer opportunities as well as several personal tips to maximize them.
The presentation indicated that 91 percent of students engaged in summer opportunities take advantage of summer employment and internships. The remaining 9 percent engage in volunteer travel and/or summer coursework. This would certainly suggest summer employment and internships represent an activity that many students pursue. If seeking an internship, the panel recommended beginning a placement search two semesters in advance and making sure you have a prepared resume and contact information, including a professional e-mail address. Several panelists recommended performing practice interviews in front of a mirror. If mirror rehearsals aren't appealing, the program’s cosponsor, the Career Development Center, offers mock interviews available to students.
In addition to mock interviews, the Career Development Center also offers resume building workshops, etiquette and apparel advice, and a range of additional services available to all IUP students.
Six O’Clock Series
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007–17 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100