Two shows as vibrant as the summer season come to the
University Museum June 9–August 4. A kick-off reception, free and open to the public, will be held from 6:00 to 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 9, at the museum.
The south galleries present the 76th annual Indiana Art Association Spring Show, presenting recent works by association members in a variety of styles and media.
The north galleries present “Paintings by the Pattisons,” featuring works from the museum's collection dating to the 1930s and 1940s by artist couple Leslie and Carrie Pattison, founding members of the IAA.
Leslie Pattison, Dreamboat
Self-taught, Leslie Pattison (1877–1951) began as a portrait painter with his own studio in Johnstown. In 1894 he established the Pattison School of Art on Philadelphia Street in Indiana.
Carrie Pattison, Pals
Carrie Houck (1877–1963), of Purchase Line in northern Indiana County, was one of his first students. They married in 1896, and painting and the local art community were essential elements in their life together.
For several years, the Pattisons hosted a group of artists in their home, “Rambles,” in White Township. This group would eventually become the IAA.
Bernstein Engelmann, My Golden Network of Spiritual Helpers
The Pattisons’ painting styles evolved individually during their prolific careers. An accomplished portrait and landscape artist, Leslie Pattison developed a distinctive, organic treatment of fantastic, dreamlike compositions inspired by patterns he discerned in lumps of coal.
Carrie Pattison focused her painting on scenes of home life and the flowers in her garden. Her works were regular prizewinners in competitions sponsored by the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, Allied Artists of Johnstown, and IAA, organizations in which she was active.
The exhibit includes a selection of their paintings on loan from several private collections, including those of John and Gretchen Barbor, William and Linda Double, Robert and Elizabeth Grandey, Joseph and Christina Lubold, Myron Hay Tomb, and the Indiana Free Library.
The museum, located on the first floor of Sutton Hall, will also have a change of hours for the summer: Beginning June 13, the museum is open on 11:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. on Wednesdays to coincide with Picnics in the Grove. It will also be open 3:00–7:00 p.m. Thursdays 1:00–5:00 p.m. Saturdays. There is no charge for admission.
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007–17 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100