Honorary Doctor of Public Service Degree
The degree was conferred upon Robert Anderson ’67, internationally recognized behavioral scientist and social worker, at IUP’s Midyear Commencement ceremonies in December. More information will appear in the Spring issue of the magazine and also may be found at Commencement.
Speaking the Same Language: Young Alumni Award winner Laurie Cannady D’06 talked to students as an integral part of her visit to IUP last fall. Photo: Keith Boyer
IUP Legislative Fellow
Richard Geist, who represents part of Blair County in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, was selected as the 2008 Legislative Fellow in a program begun in 1998 by IUP-APSCUF.
Friends of Higher Education
Pennsylvania Representatives Fred McIlhattan and Jess Stairs, both of whom retired at the end of 2008, were selected to receive the IUP-APSCUF Friend of Higher Education Award. McIlhattan represented part of Armstrong and Clarion counties and Stairs part of Fayette and Westmoreland. Stairs had also been IUP’s first Legislative Fellow awardee a decade earlier.
Family Business Awards
The Center for Family Business in the Eberly College of Business and Technology gave 2008 awards to the Quinn Family (Keystone Foam Corporation) and the Hughes and Sherry families (422 Homes Sales). Gerald “Jeep” Quinn ’91 and Brian Quinn ’96 are IUP alumni, as are Paul Sherry IV ’95, Vince Sherry ’96, Billy Hughes ’91, and John Hughes ’93.
Best Business Schools
For the fifth consecutive year, the Eberly College of Business and Information Technology has been included in the Princeton Review’s Best 296 Business Schools.
Young Alumni Achievement Awards
The IUP Alumni Association annually recognizes a recent outstanding graduate of each undergraduate college. The 2008 recipients:
- Eberly College of Business and Information Technology—Seema Batra ’94, regional manager and vice president, PNC Bank
- College of Education and Educational Technology—Kirk Fleming ’94, training manager, Quality Systems Benefit Risk Management, Johnson & Johnson, Inc.
- College of Fine Arts—Jamie Littlefield Kasper ’99, Fine Arts and Humanities advisor, Bureau of Teaching and Learning Support, Division of Standards and Curriculum, Pennsylvania Department of Education
- College of Health and Human Services—Carrie Ortsey ’99, M’00, manager, Human Resources, Eaton Corporation
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences—Laurie Cannady D’06, assistant professor of English, Lock Haven University
- College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics—Christa Ziegler ’01, exploration geologist, ExxonMobil