A History of Giving
The Special Collections section of Stapleton Library has received many gifts over the years. The Fausold Family Collection highlights the history of the Fausolds and IUP, from the portraits of John and Samuel Fausold, which hang in the Fausold Alcove, to six generations of family records donated to the library archives, such as diaries, letters, scrapbooks, articles, books, genealogies, and hundreds of family images. The collection can also be viewed on line at www.lib.iup.edu/spec_coll/fausold/fausold_family.html.
The Fausold Collection was created in 1984 when Martin Fausold donated the papers of his father, Samuel, to the IUP Libraries. Samuel Fausold served as president of the Indiana State Teachers College from 1936 to 1939. The Fausold family has long been associated with Western Pennsylvania, especially Westmoreland County, where Samuel Fausold was born and educated. After a twenty-five-year career as principal and superintendent of several schools, Samuel became deputy superintendent of Public Instruction, followed shortly by the presidency of Indiana State Teachers College.
Although Fausold’s tenure as president was marred by political machinations and cut short by illness, major construction projects as well as significant changes in faculty, administration, and curriculum occurred during his presidency.
Gifts to the Fausold Collection were also received from various family members, including important contributions from the Fry and Welty families and memorabilia from alumni who attended the college during Samuel Fausold’s presidency. The family has also created an endowment that will not only enhance the collection of family manuscripts but also encourage a broad analysis of the interplay of politics and education in the sweep of Pennsylvania history.
In addition to the Fausold Collection and the Peelor Map, there have been other generous donations to the IUP Libraries:
More than two hundred books on photography were contributed from the personal library of Ronald Juliette ’68, an IUP faculty member for over thirty years.
Books were donated from the literature collection of the late Raymona Hull, an English professor for over sixteen years. Contributions to the Raymona Hull Memorial Fiction Collection Fund are used to purchase works of American and English fiction for the library collection.
Irwin Marcus, a professor in the history department for thirty-seven years, donated a collection of books pertaining to the history of labor and social movements.
Rosaly Roffman, an English professor for thirty-five years, is donating her papers, including documents related to her poetry and her association with other writers of significance such as M.C. Richards. The collection reflects Roffman's involvement in establishing the IUP Myth Center.
A significant monetary bequest was received from the estate of Francis “Slim” ’30 and Louise Lamberson ’31. In addition, the Lambersons donated their personal library at the time they established the bequest, which consisted of many books of American history, literature, and golf.