Andrew W. Stephenson Hall is the official name of the last building to be constructed in IUP’s Residential Revival. It was dedicated in October on the site of the demolished Governors Quad. Stephenson, who graduated from IUP in 1972, is a Washington, D.C., attorney. As a board member of the Foundation for IUP, he played a pivotal role in the residence hall project. According to Foundation board president Tim Rupert ’68, “Andrew was not just a key player in the success of the Residential Revival project; he was the key player.” A partner in the law firm Holland & Knight LLP, Stephenson is serving an unprecedented third term on the Foundation board.
The Residential Revival included replacement or renovation of eleven of the university’s residential facilities with eight new suite-style buildings within a four-year period. It was a $244-million, public-private collaboration that was the largest project of its kind in the nation. Photos: Keith Boyer
Pratt Plaza, as seen from the lawn east of Sutton Hall, with Wallwork Hall in the background. (Wallwork occupies the former site of Esch and Wallace halls.) The plaza replaces Flagstone Theater, which was built in 1954 but in recent decades was rarely used. Future events staged at Pratt Plaza, though, will evoke the community spirit that for several decades characterized the site. Photo: Keith Boyer
At either end of Pratt Plaza are gates that can be opened to facilitate semester move-ins or departures. Their plaques memorialize the Class of 1922. Keith Hall is at left in the distance. Photo: Keith Boyer
Part of the same scene of Pratt Plaza, but before Flagstone Theater was on the east lawn and before Esch and Wallace were built across the railroad tracks, this was the scene in the fifties looking eastward from Sutton.
Clark Hall is at bottom right. Moving toward the top of the photo (but in actuality, going down the hill, with Eleventh Street to the right) are buildings of the Residential Revival: Putt Hall, Ruddock Hall, and, across Maple Street, newly dedicated Stephenson Hall (with the distinctive, round Hawks Nest in the middle). Behind Stephenson is the Eberly College of Business building, and behind it is the Kovalchick Complex, due for opening in the spring. On the left, moving south from Grant Street, are Delaney Hall, the Suites on Maple East, the Suites on Pratt, and Thomas Hall. Wayne Avenue is at top left. Photo: Ken Ciroli
Evergreen Garden Club member Barbara Thomas waters roses in the Heritage Garden, where she volunteers with fellow club members Marie Price and Carla Eichman ’79. Since the early fifties, when the Indiana Garden Club established the Shakespeare Garden, devoted gardeners from the Indiana and university communities have created beautiful, tranquil sanctuaries in the heart of campus. The Heritage Garden is located between Keith Hall and the Northern Suites, near the former site of Gordon Hall. Photo: Keith Boyer
More from the Fall-Winter 2010 Issue of IUP Magazine
Nafee Harris has won more national championships than any IUP athlete—ever. And, he won’t graduate until May.
IUP graduates are reconnecting somewhere at least once a week.
Stephenson Hall, Pratt Plaza, Heritage Garden, and a view from the sky
Highlights about IUP faculty members, past and present
Athletic Hall of Fame inductions, sports update, and the Coal Bowl Trophy
IUP Magazine Web Exclusives
October 15, 2010
Jim Krenn ’83 talks about how he came to sit behind the microphone at WDVE.
August 21, 2010
IUP honors those lost in service to their country.
June 30, 2010
What distinguishes our Western Pennsylvania dialect?