In response to the story “Family Affair” from the Fall-Winter issue of IUP Magazine, alumni were asked to submit their stories about having family connections to IUP. Following are the submissions of Patricia Orendorff Smith ’64 and David Dougherty ’95. John Banghart ’71 and Evelyn Davis Banghart ’71 also included information about family members who attended IUP with their write-up about attending the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Academy.
Patricia Orendorff Smith ’64
Patricia Orendorff Smith ’64 can count nearly 40 family members with connections to IUP.
- Her father, Harold Orendorff, came to Indiana State Teachers College in 1958, Patricia wrote. He became chair of the Music Department and later the first dean of Fine Arts in Sprowls Hall. Orendorff Auditorum, named in his honor, was demolished with the renovation of Cogswell Hall, but the Harold S. Orendorff Music Library now stands in its place.
- Patricia’s mother, Genevieve Grace Snyder Orendorff, attended IUP at age 75, taking a course in literature.
- Her brother Harry Orendorff majored in Math and minored in Chemistry. His wife, Carole Peterson Orendorff ’60, majored in Elementary Education.
- Sister JoAnne Orendorff Peterson ’84, now deceased, earned her degree in Elementary Education. Her son, Richard Peterson, studied Computer Science. Her daughter Karyn Peterson Jones ’87 majored in Respiratory Care, and Karyn’s daughter Melissa Jones is studying education. JoAnne’s daughter Kathleen Peterson Zuchelli ’92 studied Early Childhood Education. And, JoAnne's grandchildren David, Shawn, and Andrew Carley also attend or attended IUP.
- While Patricia earned her degree in Elementary Education, her husband, the late Theron C. Smith ’63, studied in Mathematics. Their son Thomas Smith ’92, earned a degree in Safety Science, and his wife, Julie King Smith, received a bachelor’s in Communications Media in ’91 and a master’s in Adult and Community Education in ’93. Patricia and Theron’s son Robert Smith ’95 studied Criminology, and his wife, Kristie Katzenbach Smith ’95, majored in Nursing. The Smiths’ daughter, Lisa Smith Spencer, received a master’s in Adult Education and Communication Technology in ’03. Lisa’s daughter, Brittany Spencer, is studying English at IUP. Another granddaughter, Ashley Carmo, a student in the Robert E. Cook Honors College, is studying Fashion Merchandising. Her father, Thomas Carmo, studied Criminology at IUP.
- Patricia’s sister Mary Beth Orendorff ’68, now deceased, majored in Elementary Education.
- Brother Richard Orendorff ’72 studied Social Science and Liberal Arts, and his late wife, Rita Luther Orendorff, studied Elementary Education. Their daughter, Julie Orendorff Brunetto ’01, majored in Health and Physical Education, and now teaches in the department at IUP.
- Sister Judy Orendorff Adams ’75 earned her degree in Elementary Education, and her daughter Paula Adams studied Art at IUP.
- Sister Cathy Orendorff Nolen ’72 studied Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.
- Brother David Orendorff studied Mathematics.
- Sister Debra Orendorff Henninger ’75, M’79 received both of her degrees in Music Education. Her husband, Warren Henninger, received a bachelor’s in Biology in ’70 and an MBA in ’83. Three sons also attended IUP: Michael Henninger ’06 majored in Journalism, Brian Henninger ’08 studied Spanish Education, and Jonathan Henninger ’11, a student in the Cook Honors College, majored in Biochemistry and minored in Mathematics and Spanish. Jonathan now attends Harvard University and has a medical sciences grant to obtain a Ph.D. in Developmental and Regenerative Biology from the Biological and Biomedical Sciences graduate program.
- Sister Roberta Orendorff Borgo ’77 studied Speech and Hearing. Her husband, Robert Borgo ’77, majored in Management.
- Sister Lori Orendorff Layer ’80 majored in Management Information Systems.
- And, cousin Carol Snyder Costanzo ’77 studied Special Education.
David Dougherty ’95
David Dougherty ’95 and his six siblings all graduated from IUP. And the family’s IUP ties have grown through marriages and children. Their parents are the late Owen Dougherty, a longtime football and baseball coach at IUP, and Virginia Dougherty, who received a master’s degree in English from IUP.
- Oldest sibling Edwin Dougherty ’82 has a daughter Laura, who graduated from IUP in 1997.
- Sister Virginia Dougherty Broadbent ’78 is married to Al Broadbent ’78, who was inducted into the IUP Athletic Hall of Fame in 1999. Al was an All-PSAC soccer selection who played every minute of every game during his IUP career.
- Sister Ellen Dougherty Litzenberger ’84 is married to Jim Litzenberger ’85. Two of their daughters, Erin and Alyssa, currently attend IUP.
- Brother Robert Dougherty ’85 also served as a member of the IUP Council of Trustees.
- Brother Owen Dougherty ’88 was a graduate assistant for the IUP soccer program.
- David’s wife, Stephanie Modrak Dougherty ’92, has ties of her own to IUP. Her father, Thomas Modrak ’65, a former IUP football player who has held front office positions with a number of NFL teams, was inducted into the IUP Athletic Hall of Fame in 1998. Her mother, Sandy, taught in the Health and Physical Education Department.
- Brother Patrick Dougherty ’97 is married to Amy DeFurio Dougherty ’90. Amy’s father, Anthony DeFurio M’68, is a professor emeritus and former chair of the Art Department, and her mother, Nancy DeFurio, worked at the university for many years. Amy also has siblings who graduated from IUP: brothers Tony DeFurio and Kenneth DeFurio, both in 1986, and sister Mary Beth DeFurio Brown in 1994.