Break Housing and Early Arrival Policy

  • IUP offers housing during breaks (fall, winter, and spring). Space is limited, and there are a number of restrictions on break housing.


    Break housing is available at no cost to students who file a Break Housing Application by the break housing deadline and meet the following criteria: (1) the student must be an international student, or (2) the student must be required to stay on campus due to activities associated with IUP (such as sporting events, theater productions, etc.) In these cases, written verification from the university supervisor/advisor is required with the application, and housing can only be offered if space is available. In addition, students must be living on campus during the semester and must submit the Break Housing Application no later than the established deadline. If you miss the deadline, you will be billed at a rate of $30 per night for break housing, providing we have space available. Summer housing is also available.

    For a fee, and as space permits, break housing is also available to students who miss the established deadline or who need to stay due to employment, enrollment in a course, or other extenuating circumstances. The cost is $30 per night/per person. The Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining will approve these requests on a case-by-case basis.

    Important Note

    Due to severe space limitations we will, in all likelihood, not be able to honor many break housing requests. International students, of course, will be accommodated; however, any remaining spaces we may have, if any, will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. We are strongly advise students who need housing over the break period to seek off-campus accommodations.


    Break housing is located in Wallwork Hall.

    Sleeping Accommodations

    If you do not currently reside in Wallwork Hall, you will be assigned to a lounge in Wallwork (furnished with bunk beds). Students are responsible for providing their own bed linens.


    IUP dining facilities will not be open during the break period. One facility will be open during summer sessions. See your summer contract for details.


    There is a community assistant (CA) team assigned to the building throughout the break period. The office will be staffed during select hours each day to provide recreation equipment and answer questions. If there is an emergency, there will be phone numbers and duty schedules posted throughout the building so you can reach the CA on call. Additionally, University Police can be reached 24 hours a day at 724-357-2141.


    The building will be locked 24 hours a day. Only students approved to stay in break housing will have access to the building through their I-Card or temporary card access.


    No overnight guests are permitted during the break period.


    Smoking is not permitted in any of the residence halls.


    All residential and university policies apply during the break period. If you have any questions concerning policies, please review the Residence Hall Contract for Housing and Dining Services or the Source.

    During break, all university residential facilities, with the exception of Wallwork and University Towers, will be closed and locked. Students are not permitted in the residence halls during the break period, and Wallwork and University Towers will be available only for students who have applied for and been assigned to break housing residency.

    Spring Semester Closing 2015

    All university residence halls, apartments, and suites will be closed at the end of the spring semester. Residents are asked to notify their community assistant (CA) of the day and approximate time they expect to check out of their residence hall, apartment, or suite.

    Residence Hall Closing

    All students except graduating seniors must vacate their room/apartment/suite no later than 24 hours after their last final examination. Students with final exams on Friday, May 8, must vacate their room/apartment/suite no later than 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 9. Graduating seniors may remain in their room/apartment/suite (ONLY if they sign up in their hall office by Sunday, May 3) until 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 9, but must complete all checkout procedures prior to that time by making special arrangements with the staff responsible for that building.


    The dining hall schedule is as follows:

    • Foster
      • Last meal served: 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 9
    • Crimson Café
      • Last meal served: 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 7
    • HUB Rock Café
      • Last meal served: 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 7
    • Oak Room
      • Last meal served: 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 30 
    • Java City Library
      • Last meal served: 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 7  
    • POD – Putt
        Last meal served: 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 8
    • POD - Wallwork
      • Last meal served: 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 7
    • Eberly Café
      • Last meal served: 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 30 

    Important Information

    Residents are advised that any necessary maintenance and/or custodial services will continue to be performed during the break period. 

    Please refer any special circumstances regarding checkout to your residence hall director. Do not drive on any grass areas or park in any reserved or handicap parking spaces.

    For information on break housing, please contact the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining at 724-357-2696.

    Should you have any questions regarding the above, please contact a residence life staff member in your building.