Operations FAQ

  • Here are some questions students and their parents frequently ask about furniture, safety, and other operational aspects of on-campus housing.

    Can I have a traditional telephone in my room?

    Active telephone jacks are no longer available in residence hall rooms. Due to the number of options available for telephone service (cell phones, ip phones), there is no longer enough demand to retain these lines.

    Are any appliances prohibited in residential buildings?

    The following are among the items prohibited:

    • weapons, firearms of any kind, and look-alike weapons
    • halogen lamps, potpourri burners, candle warmers, candles, and incense
    • toasters, toaster ovens, hot pots, popcorn poppers, George Foreman grill, hot plates, rice cookers
    • space heaters (except as determined by the university), ceiling fans, air conditioners
    • any items or appliances the university deems potentially dangerous

    Irons are permitted but cannot be used in student rooms. Their use is restricted to designated areas within each building, typically a laundry room or an alcove in a restroom. Coffee makers are permitted.

    Will regular-sized twin sheets fit my bed?


    • The mattress size is 36 inches by 76 inches for traditional halls.
    • The mattress size is 39 inches by 79 inches for suites.

    How can I rent a refrigerator or MicroFridge?

    Refrigerator and MicroFridge rentals are not available. You should be able to find compact refrigerators at many department or appliance stores.

    All rooms in the suite-style buildings have refrigerators and microwave ovens.

    Are there any size or power-consumption restrictions for a microwave or a refrigerator?

    For safety reasons, microwaves cannot exceed seven hundred watts, and refrigerators cannot exceed two amps and 3.1 cubic feet. If you are unsure of the power consumption of an appliance, ask a store clerk, or look for that information on the back of the appliance.

    Can I bring both a microwave and a refrigerator to campus?

    Yes, provided that all power-consumption guidelines are met.

    All rooms in the suite-style buildings have refrigerators and microwave ovens.

    Is a microwave provided?

    One microwave is provided in each traditional residence hall in a common area (typically in or near the main lounge) and is for all residents to use.

    All rooms in the suite-style buildings have refrigerators and microwave ovens.

    Are laundry facilities available in residential buildings?

    Each residential building has a laundry room with washers and dryers. Ironing boards are also provided in each laundry facility. Laundry (as well as vending and printing) is paid for using student's I-Card and their C-Bord (Crimson Cash) account.

    Crimson Cash is distinct from Dining flex dollars. Flex is only for dining.

    Are the residence halls air conditioned?

    The main lounges of all the residence halls are air conditioned; however, student rooms are not. University Towers, Whitmyre Hall and all suite-style buildings are air conditioned.

    I have a medical condition that requires an air conditioner. What should I do?

    A student residing in a non air conditioned room with a medical condition requiring air conditioning, along with his or her physician, will be required to complete a special medical needs form available in the Office of Housing and Residence Life. That information needs to be sent to the Center for health and Well Being, where it will be reviewed by the medical staff. The student will then be notified by a representative of the Office of Housing and Residence Life whether the request was approved or denied. If the request is approved, the student will be required to provide his/her own air conditioner (not to exceed six thousand BTU). IUP's maintenance employees must install and remove the unit. The student will be assessed $150 for the installation and removal of the air conditioner.

    Note: University Towers, Whitmyre Hall, and all suite-style buildings are air conditioned.

    Will regular-sized twin sheets fit my bed?

    Yes. The mattress size is 36 inches by 76 inches.

    I am very tall. Do you have extra-long beds?

    We have a limited supply of extra-long beds for students who are very tall. The mattress measures 36 inches by 84 inches. If you would like to request an extra-long bed, you should contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life as soon as possible. Because space is at a premium in residence hall rooms, students often reconsider their decision and opt for a regular-sized bed.

    Can I build a loft?

    Yes. However, students must adhere to the loft guidelines established by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

    The university doesn’t sell or provide lofts. If you prefer to purchase rather than build a loft, we recommend you do a search on line to determine possible vendors. Whether you purchase or build a loft, you will need to make sure the loft meets the established guidelines.

    What do we do with the bed in the room if we build a loft?

    As per the Housing License Agreements, all university furniture must remain in the room. Many individuals who build lofts incorporate the springs and mattress from the university bed into the loft design. By doing so, only the two small bed ends need to be stored in the room, typically in the closet or wardrobe. Note: Our bed frame size is 80-7/8 inches by 37¼ inches (outside measurements) and post frame size is 1¼ inches by 1¼ inches.

    Does the university sell safes?

    The Co-op Store sells safes.

    Can I fasten the safe to anything in the room?

    If you wish to fasten the safe to something in the room for added security, we suggest you use a steel cable or bike chain and loop it through the small holes in the back or bottom of the safe and attach it to a bed end or other piece of furniture. We do not allow the safe to be secured to the floor, wall, or any piece of university furniture, as doing so will damage those items.

    Which buildings do not have a sprinkler system or smoke alarms?

    All of our residential buildings have a fully operating sprinkler system. All student rooms, as well as all common areas, have smoke detectors.

    Can we purchase renter’s insurance through the university?

    The university does not sell renter’s insurance, nor does it provide insurance coverage for personal property that may be damaged or destroyed as a result of theft, fire, smoke, water, excessive heat or cold, or other elements.

    We recommend that you examine your or your parents’ homeowner policy to see if personal items would be insured and, if they are, the extent of the coverage. We highly recommend that each resident has some form of personal property insurance to cover replacement costs for theft or damage. In one of our mailings, we include a brochure on personal property insurance from National Student Services. Although not affiliated with or endorsed by the university, this company specializes in providing low-cost insurance coverage for students living in residential buildings on college or university campuses. You may choose to consider this option.

    Can I bring a vehicle to campus?

    Students are encouraged not to bring a vehicle to campus. Parking permits are available (for a fee and on a limited basis) through the University Police. For more information, see the University Police website or call the police directly at 724-357-2141.

    What type of window coverings are provided in the residence halls?

    All student rooms have window shades. Rooms in the traditional halls have a curtain rod. Residents may install their own fire-retardant draperies.

    Can I paint my room?

    Students are not permitted to paint their rooms.

    Are student rooms carpeted?

    All student rooms in Whitmyre Hall and University Towers are carpeted. All rooms in the suites buildings are carpeted. Student rooms in all other residence halls have floor tile and no carpeting. Students may choose to bring carpet or carpet remnants that fit in their rooms.

    See the Suites FAQ for carpet colors in the suites.

    Are there any safety devices for the common bathrooms?

    Security devices have been installed in shower areas in all traditional residence halls with common bathrooms. Each shower area is equipped with a cord connected to a device which, when pulled, activates an alarm in that specific restroom, as well as another alarm and a yellow strobe light in the corridor immediately outside of that bathroom. When activated, these alarms will sound for one minute and shut off automatically. However, the strobe light will continue to operate until the device in the shower area has been reset. A staff member in your building will explain to all floor residents how to reset the device which will stop the strobe light from flashing and enable the device to be activated again when needed. Please realize that the device cannot be activated again unless it has been reset. Note: The sound of these alarms is distinctly different from the sound of the fire alarm system or exterior door alarms in your building.

    This security device has been installed for you to use in the event of an emergency. If you feel that you need immediate assistance while using this facility, you should pull the cord to sound the alarms which can be heard easily by others in the area. The purpose of this device is to provide a safer living environment for all residents. You should not hesitate to use it if the need arises. However, activating this alarm system unnecessarily will defeat its intended purpose and confuse other residents. In addition, it will also be viewed as a violation of residence hall policy and will result in a referral to the judicial system. A finding of “in violation” for falsely activating a security device is likely to result in a student’s disciplinary removal from university housing and/or suspension from the university.

  • Operations FAQ
    Frequently asked questions about furniture, safety, and other operational aspects of on-campus housing.
    Suites FAQ
    Answers to questions about suite-style housing on campus
    Living-Learning Faculty and Staff FAQ
    Frequently asked questions by faculty members about living-learning communities
    Living-Learning Student FAQ
    Questions students frequently ask about living-learning communities
    Safety and Security FAQ
    Questions frequently asked about safety and security in the Residence Halls.
    Housing Signup FAQ for Continuing Students
    Information about housing signups for continuing students.
    Housing I-Card FAQ
    Information about using your I-Card for access if you live in the residence halls
    Resnet FAQ
    Questions about residential networking at IUP
    Move-In FAQ
    Answers to questions about moving into the residence halls for the Fall semester.
    Dining FAQ
    Answers to questions about dining at IUP