Frequently Asked Questions about Housing and Residence Life

  • Answers to your questions about living in the residence halls at IUP. For answers to questions about Residential Networking, please consult our RESNET site. Below, you’ll find links to other Housing FAQs.

    Can I bring a traditional telephone to campus?

    Active telephone jacks are no longer available in residence hall rooms. Due to the number of options available for telephone service (cell phones, ip phones), there is no longer enough demand to retain these lines.

    Is there cable television?

    All residence hall rooms are equipped with cable television service. Cable-ready televisions, DVD players, and FM stereo systems can all be connected to the wall outlets located in each room. Also see the Cable TV page.

    Can I get digital cable, on-demand, or HD cable?

    IUP runs its own cable system, which at this time only provides basic cable and a few local HD channels. See the listing of television stations for details.

    Are the rooms carpeted?

    Rooms in Whitmyre Hall (Honors College), University Towers, and all Suites buildings are carpeted. All other traditional halls have tile floors. The Suites FAQ lists the carpet colors in the suites.

    Are escorts available so I don’t have to walk across campus by myself at night?

    Students are urged not to walk alone, especially during evening or early morning hours. To ensure their own safety, they should preplan activities and make advance arrangements to walk with others. University Police operates an on-campus escort service from 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. daily. Students needing an escort should call University Police at 724-357-2141.

    Can I bring weapons on campus?

    Neither firearms nor other weapons are permitted anywhere in IUP residence halls or apartments. Firearms/weapons include, but are not limited to, the following: rifles, shotguns, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks, nun-chucks, air rifles, air pistols, knives, BB guns, bows and arrows, dart guns, paintball guns, and look-alike weapons. Hunters and others must register firearms and store them with University Police.

    What furnishings are available?

    Each resident is provided with

    • dresser/chest
    • desk and chair
    • bed and mattress
    • closet or wardrobe
    • mirror
    • wastebasket and recycling container
    • active Ethernet connection and cable television service

    Furniture in some student rooms is moveable. In Whitmyre Hall, most furniture items, except beds, are permanently fixed. With the exception of closets, all furniture is moveable in Elkin Hall, McCarthy Hall, and University Towers apartments. All furniture is moveable in the suites buildings.

    Can I get out of my housing contract?

    The Housing and Dining Agreements are legal agreements and, once submitted, are binding for the academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). Students are financially responsible for both semesters unless they participate in a university-sponsored program that takes them away from the Indiana area, or if they terminate their enrollment.

    What items should I bring to campus?

    We suggest that each student bring:

    • pillow, blanket, bedspread, sheets, and mattress pad. Sizes are:
      • extra-long twin bed for suites
      • regular twin bed for traditional halls
    • towels, laundry bag or basket
    • sturdy key ring
    • bath bucket (to carry personal items to the shower in traditional halls)
    • hangers
    • first aid kit
    • hair dryer
    • flashlight
    • coat, jacket, and umbrella
    • non-halogen study lamp
    • stamps
    • throw rug
    • alarm clock with batteries
    • items to decorate the room

    Residents wishing to bring draperies must assure they are fire retardant. We recommend that students bring a small dolly or luggage cart to speed the move-in process.

    Student staying in the Suites will also need kitchen and bathroom cleaning supplies.

    What can’t I bring to campus?

    The following are among the items prohibited:

    • weapons, firearms of any kind, and look-alike weapons
    • halogen lamps, potpourri burners, candle warmers, candles, and incense
    • toasters, toaster ovens, hot pots, popcorn poppers, George Forman grill, hot plates
    • space heaters (except as determined by the university), ceiling fans, air conditioners
    • Twinkle/holiday/string lights are not permitted
    • any other items or appliances the university deems potentially dangerous

    Are there any special living options?

    See the Living Learning page for information about specialty floors.

    Do I have to have a meal plan?

    Residents are required to purchase one of several university meal plans. This ensures access to high-quality, nutritious meals. Many students attending college for the first time are not experienced with time management. Having a meal plan relieves the student of the responsibility of shopping, cooking, and cleaning up after meals, allowing more time for academic pursuits. Furthermore, residence halls are not designed for students to prepare meals. Of concern are the potential for fire, activation of smoke alarms, clogging of drains, improper disposal of waste and garbage, electrical overloads, insects, and rodents.

    A high-quality dining program requires a solid financial base in order to operate at a reasonable cost to students. Our residence hall students provide that base. If meal plans were optional for residence hall students, the cost would be significantly higher.

    Students living in University Towers apartments are not required to have a meal plan.

    What is the policy on noise?

    Residents are responsible for maintaining reasonable conditions for study and sleep in our residence halls. Minimum courtesy and quiet hours have been established 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. weekdays and midnight to 8:00 a.m. weekends. A twenty-four-hour quiet period goes into effect prior to and during final exam periods. Every floor has the opportunity to extend the established minimum quiet hours on the floor by a secret ballot vote. Courtesy hours, in effect twenty-four hours a day, require students to be considerate of the needs of others at all times and to comply with requests for maintaining a reasonable level of quiet. Quiet hours cover specific evening hours and require that noise be reduced so that nothing can be heard from within rooms when doors are closed.

    Students are expected to confront individuals who infringe upon their right to study or sleep. Community assistants are available to help maintain a reasonable level of quiet on the floor; however, they are not expected to be the sole policy enforcers on the floor. No staff member can be available twenty-four hours a day to address every situation that may arise. At the same time, students are encouraged to practice the skills they will need to be self-sufficient adults. When asked to settle a noise situation, an CA is likely to ask the resident if she/he has made any attempt to resolve the situation. If the resident has made an attempt and did not receive an adequate response, the CA will assist in intervention. If the resident has not made an attempt, the CA is likely to encourage her or him to discuss the matter with the student in question before seeking intervention.

    Students who continually show disrespect for the rights of others and/or refuse to cooperate with requests to keep the noise level down are referred to the building director for disciplinary action. Repeated violations could lead to a student’s loss of eligibility for campus housing.

    Courtesy hours are in effect for all residence halls, seven days a week. Quiet hours are in effect in all residential buildings during evening hours. When quiet hours are not in effect, courtesy hours require that students be considerate of the needs of others and comply with requests for maintaining a reasonable level of quiet. These policies help make residence hall rooms suitable places to study. Other places for studying include residence hall student lounges located on most floors, the library, the Hadley Union Building, and designated classrooms.

    Can I paint my room?

    Residents are not permitted to paint their rooms.

    How do I pay for my room?

    The $80 nonrefundable prepayment, which accompanies the housing agreements, will be credited to the student’s total university account. (See also section IV. Housing License Agreement Termination.) Semester room and meal fees are indicated on the Residence Hall Housing License Agreement acceptance. The university reserves the right to adjust the room fee and/or meal fee before or during the agreement period by action of its Council of Trustees. Payment of semester room and meal fees must be made according to the deadline dates indicated on the university billing statement for each semester.

    What happens when a student violates policy?

    Students who violate policies can expect to experience the consequences of those decisions. For a lesser violation, a student will be required to meet with his or her building director to discuss the situation and participate in an action plan. Action plans may include a formal written warning, a contract for behavior change, and/or an educational assignment designed to help the student gain new information and insight.

    If the incident requires investigation, the student is a repeat violator, or the situation is particularly serious, a referral to the residence hall judicial system may be initiated via the Office of Student Conduct. When appropriate, IUP University Police are invited to participate in investigations. University Police are contacted for all alcohol related policy violations and all matters involving alleged criminal activity. A hearing time is established when a university hearing officer or judicial board will review information concerning the student’s behavior, including testimony from the accused student and any witnesses, then decide whether the student is in violation of any policy. If a violation is determined, the officer or board will decide on sanctions or consequences appropriate to the case.

    How can I protect my property?

    The best defense is to keep your room locked at all times and to take valuables home over break periods. University Police participate in Operation Identification, part of the Pennsylvania Crime Watch program, designed to prevent burglary. Officers go to residence halls at scheduled times and assist students with engraving identifying information (i.e., Pennsylvania driver’s license numbers) on stereos, cameras, TVs, computers, radios, etc. There is an engraver available at the main desk of each residence hall for student use. If you have a laptop computer, you should buy a locking mechanism for it.

    What do I do if I have problems with my roommate?

    The relationship between roommates often impacts one’s satisfaction with college life. Components of a positive relationship are the assertive expression of one’s needs, the recognition and respect for the unique needs and lifestyles of others, and the positive management of conflict. Students are expected to take primary responsibility for ensuring the development and maintenance of a positive roommate relationship. Students are strongly encouraged to invest themselves fully in working together to resolve differences by speaking directly to roommates, sharing concerns, expressing feelings in an honest manner, and jointly resolving conflict. In some cases a roommate may be unresponsive or difficult to approach. In either situation, the student should seek help from his/her CA or residence director. Residence hall staff members can assist students in expressing themselves to their roommates or in negotiating a living agreement.

    What staff are in the the residence halls?

    Each residence hall is managed by a full-time professional or part-time graduate student trained specifically in working with college students in a residential setting. Residence hall floors are staffed by undergraduate community assistants (CAs). Most halls have two CAs per floor. CAs are responsible for working with students to create and maintain a floor community conducive to academic, social, and personal needs. CAs are expected to confront violations of university policy, act as role models, encourage residents to take responsibility for their own actions/choices, and encourage respect and appreciation for each other. Residence hall offices are staffed weekdays by student receptionists responsible for checking out recreational equipment, issuing spare keys, answering questions, and attending to administrative tasks assigned by the building director.

    In addition, there are custodians, maintenance, and other housing personnel who might be in the building.

    Does IUP provide gender-neutral (sometimes known as co-ed) housing?

    See IUP's policy on Gender-Neutral Housing.

    What is the policy on visitors?

    Each residence hall floor establishes its own specific visitation hours by majority vote. The university permits guests according to the following guidelines:

    1. Overnight guests need advance and explicit written consent of the roommate, are limited to two per resident, and may not remain for more than three consecutive days. Forms can be obtained from the hall office.
    2. The rights to sleep, study, and have privacy supersede visitation privileges.
    3. Guests entering the building must be escorted by their host or hostess at all times when they are in the building. Residents are directly responsible for the actions of their guests. Residents may face disciplinary action and be held financially responsible for any behavior of a guest that results in property damage. The university reserves the right to deny access to any guest if it has been determined that he/she has disturbed, endangered, or disrupted residents.
  • Operations FAQ
    Frequently asked questions about furniture, safety, and other operational aspects of on-campus housing.
    Suites FAQ
    Answers to questions about suite-style housing on campus
    Living-Learning Faculty and Staff FAQ
    Frequently asked questions by faculty members about living-learning communities
    Living-Learning Student FAQ
    Questions students frequently ask about living-learning communities
    Safety and Security FAQ
    Questions frequently asked about safety and security in the Residence Halls.
    Housing Signup FAQ for Continuing Students
    Information about housing signups for continuing students.
    Housing I-Card FAQ
    Information about using your I-Card for access if you live in the residence halls
    Resnet FAQ
    Questions about residential networking at IUP
    Move-In FAQ
    Answers to questions about moving into the residence halls for the Fall semester.
    Dining FAQ
    Answers to questions about dining at IUP