Original form obtained through faculty adviser’s department office
- Status: Graduate Student ___ Undergraduate Student ___
- Proposed semester: Year ___ Fall ___ Spring ___ Sum I ___ Sum II ___
- Students, together with the faculty member supervising Independent Study, must have this approval form processed through the steps listed in section E prior to the end of the late registration process.
- Student Information
- Social Security number:
- Student name:
- Student’s mailing address:
- Rationale and Plan of Study (sample proposal): In conjunction with a faculty member, prepare an independent study proposal to be attached to this form. The proposal must include:
- a rationale for conducting an independent study
- the purpose of the study
- activities to accomplish objectives
- required reading and/or a bibliography
- an evaluation process*
- use for special purpose, i.e., liberal studies elective, writing intensive, Honors College, non-western, etc.
- number of credits**
- Signature Approvals and Verification:
- Faculty Member of Record: (This is the faculty member with whom you will be doing your independent study and who will be grading you.)
- Faculty Adviser:
- Chairperson: (of the department of the faculty member you will be working with)
- College Dean: (again, of your faculty member’s college)
* It is a good idea to give yourself many opportunities to be evaluated rather than stake your whole grade on a single paper or project.
** No student may take more than six credits of Independent Study.