IUP artmark

Essential Information for International Students

  • IUP Policy for Health Insurance for International Students

    Policy changes effective as of Fall 2008.

    Indiana University of Pennsylvania requires all J and F visa holders to have the Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance coverage sponsored by the university. IUP will provide students who are F and J visa holders with medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, billing each student for the insurance premium at the beginning of each academic semester. No waivers are permitted.

    As defined by federal regulations, students who possess J visas also must carry a minimum level of health insurance coverage for themselves and any spouse and any dependent child/children. Students may select any health insurance policy that is in compliance with the following federal requirements. Each semester of enrollment, students on a J visa must provide proof of insurance with at least $50,000 major medical coverage. The deductible may not exceed $500 per accident or illness. Insurance plans must be purchased from a company that has a U.S. telephone number, and the company must be licensed to sell insurance in the United States.

    Students on a J visa must maintain valid medical insurance for the entire period of enrollment at IUP. If, at any time, the university becomes aware that the student is not covered by an insurance plan that is in compliance with the federal regulations, the student will be contacted by the Office of International Education, and his or her immigration status will be in jeopardy.

    Students who have commercial health insurance may also be required to pay the university health and wellness fee and any related health charges when seeking care on campus.

    (See fee page for Health Service charges.)

    Consolidated Health Plans, Inc. (Overview)

    Consolidated Health Plans, Inc., is a quality and cost-effective student insurance plan offered to IUP students. Consolidated offers insurance as well as a discount prescription card (Express Scripts) that is accepted at the overwhelming majority of pharmacies in Indiana. For more information, contact the health center at 724-357-6475 or e-mail us at health-inquiry@iup.edu. This insurance plan meets the requirements for J visa holders. The plan is available to all graduate students enrolled in one or more credits and any undergraduate enrolled in six or more credits.

    Insurance Plan Information

    Consolidated Health Plans, Inc., is the endorsed vendor for student group health insurance at IUP. We highly recommend that all students have health insurance. This plan meets the requirements for J visa holders. All graduate students, part time and full time, are eligible for the plan. Undergraduates who are enrolled in six or more units of credit are eligible for the plan. Brochures are available at the health service.

    View a copy of the brochure, Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan 2014-15. The brochure is also available on the Consolidated Health Plans, Inc., website. The Consolidated plan does require that students seek medical care from the university health service for most illnesses and injuries (See the brochure for more information and exceptions to the rule). In order to seek clinical care at the health center, students are required to pay the Wellness Fee.