Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

...about the Department of Employment and Labor Relations

Where is the Employment and Labor Relations Department, and where are the classes held?

The ELR Department is located in the basement of Keith Hall. Most classes are held in Keith Hall, Room 7. Some classes are held in other classrooms in Keith Hall.

What kind of classes do students take?

Classes include Employee Rights Under Law, Fundamentals of the American Labor Movement, Dispute Settlement, Research in Labor Relations, Processes of Collective Bargaining, Human Resource Management in the Public Sector, Contract Administration, and other electives.

Is it a hands-on program or lecture?

There is some lecture in each class—however, participation is encouraged. There are also many hands-on activities for each class.

What is the class size?

Class sizes typically range from fifteen to twenty-five students.

What time are the classes?

Classes are typically in the evening, Monday through Thursday. The first class begins at 5:20 p.m. and ends at 7:50 p.m.; the second class begins at 8:00 p.m. and ends at 10:30 p.m. 

How many credits will I earn in the ELR master’s program?

There are 21 required credits and 15 elective credits, for a total of 36 credits. There is a possibility of a waiver if you have completed sufficient coursework. Waivers can only be applied to required courses and are only given in cases in which the student has completed the equivalent of the course. Waivers are only granted with the approval of the department chair.

Must I take the GRE to apply for the program?

 No. The GRE is not a requirement for application to the program.

Is it possible to complete the program in one year?

Yes. With the proper planning, the ELR course curriculum is designed to allow full-time students the ability to complete the program in one academic year.

Do I have to write a thesis in order to graduate?

No, students have a choice of completing a three- or six-credit internship or thesis

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available through the Bursar’s office. For more information, visit the Office of Financial Aid. The ELR Department also offers graduate assistantships.

When can I register for the program?

Students can register for Fall, Summer, or Spring semesters.

How do I register for my classes?

Once you are officially admitted to the Graduate School, you will get registration instructions and a PIN. The registration process is completed on line through a computer program called URSA. Dropping and adding classes is also done on line.

What types of majors can apply?

Our department welcomes all majors.

Does the department offer assistance with finding internships or employment?

Yes, many of our students have found job placements and/or internships with the National Labor Relations Board and other organizations.  We also have an updated webpage of employment listings for students in our department to consider.

Can anyone take classes that are offered through the cohort in Monroeville?

No. Only students enrolled in the cohort program are permitted to take classes there.

Where can I get my textbooks?

IUP has a bookstore called the Co-op Bookstore. Textbooks are available there, but you can also purchase them elsewhere.

Is there student parking on campus?

Student parking (with a commuter pass) is available right below Keith Hall in the HUB student parking lot. You can also park at any meter as long as you pay.

  • Employment and Labor Relations Department
  • Keith Hall, Room 3-E
    390 Pratt Drive
    Indiana, PA 15705-1087
  • Phone: 724-357-4470
  • Office Hours
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
  • 1:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.