Skip to Content - Skip to Navigation

National Student Exchange

Have you dreamed about spending a semester or academic year in an exotic location? Would you like to get up every morning and experience the mountains of Montana, the deserts of New Mexico, or the beaches of Florida? If so, you should think about becoming involved with the National Student Exchange (NSE), a program at IUP for undergraduate exchange within the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, and Canada.


NSE students study for a semester or full academic year at another NSE college/university in order to take advantage of courses not offered at IUP. The experience allows students to continue their studies while living in a different geographical region and broadening their personal, educational, and cultural perspectives. For inquiries about the National Exchange Program, please contact Jan Shellenbarger, NSE Coordinator, at or visit our office in Pratt Hall, Room 302 to schedule an appointment. 

NSE Application Form online!

Remember to review the information below, including the Frequently Asked Questions and the National Student Exchange website, before printing the application. Once you have reviewed the material and know this is the program for you, please contact Jan Shellenbarger at 724-357-2235 to schedule an appointment.

Frequently Asked Questions

(or “Almost everything you need to know about the National Student Exchange before filling out the application and submitting a registration fee!”)

How many universities are involved?

Almost 200

Where are they located?

All 50 United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands and Canada

What is the registration fee?

$300 (Paid through Marketplace

What is a "Plan A" university? 

You would pay tuition to your host school. 

What is a "Plan B" university?

You pay tuition to IUP as you would normally do. 

What is an "Open" school?

As long as you meet the IUP requirements (see below), you would be accepted automatically to any Open school you wish to attend.

What other types of exchanges are there other than "Open?"

1:1 - the host campus accepts students first from those campuses where it intends to place its own students. For example, Northern Arizona University accepts students on Plan B (paying tuition directly to IUP) only on a 1:1 placement, meaning if we take one of their students on exchange, they'll take an IUP student.

Even - the host campus accepts no more than the number of students it intends to send on exchange.

Uneven - the host campus accepts a few more students than it intends to send on exchange.

Are there any IUP requirements?

You must have a 2.5 GPA or higher and be in good standing with IUP, i.e., no financial obligations such as fines or holds on your record, no judicial proceedings against you. 

Do my credits transfer back to IUP?

Yes, your credits, if approved through Transfer Admissions, transfer back to IUP, but your GPA remains the same. 

Application Information

If this sounds like the type of program you think you would enjoy, please contact Jan Shellenbarger at or 724-357-2235.

To be eligible to participate in an exchange, you must (at the time of the exchange) be at least sophomore standing, have a GPA of 2.5 or above, and be in good standing with the university (current on financial obligations, no outstanding judicial proceedings, etc.). For more information, please visit the National Student Exchange website.

Marketplace: This page allows you to pay your NSE application fee online. Payment is not due until you have received placement.

NSE Participating Universities 2015-2016 (pdf)

  • Office of Internships
  • c/o Career and Professional Development Center
    Pratt Hall, Suite 302
    201 Pratt Drive
    Indiana, PA 15705
  • Phone: 724-357-2235
  • Fax: 724-357-4079
  • Monday, Thursday, Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Tuesday and Wednesday
  • 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.