IUP artmark

Total University Withdrawal: Checklist

  • Undergraduate Withdrawal Process 

    Withdrawal Grade Status (Total University Withdrawal)

    Undergraduate total semester withdrawals are for all classes for the semester/session and must be processed during the semester in which the classes are occurring. All withdrawals are treated the same with regards to grading and fee pro-ration (if any), irrespective of reason for withdrawal. Some pro-ration of tuition/fees may be applicable.

    Students who properly process and complete total semester withdrawal within the current semester/session will receive a “Q (withdrawn) enrollment status and a “W” designation for all their classes, rather than a grade. “W” designations are not calculated in determining quality/grade point average. Credits associated with “W” are calculated into the percent of progress (as credits registered but not completed), used in determining financial aid eligibility. Once processed, withdrawals may not be rescinded.

    If you are thinking of processing a total university withdrawal from this semester, it is important that you read and understand the following information:

    If you are unsure whether you should withdraw, please tell the person administering this form. We will direct you to an office adviser or your associate dean for a discussion of your options.

    If you are the recipient of financial aid, including loans, contact the Office of the Bursar (Clark Hall, 724-357-2207) to discuss the impact of total university withdrawal on your aid package and bill for this semester.

    Call, e-mail (financial-aid@iup.edu), or stop by the Office of Financial Aid (Clark Hall, 724-357-2218) to discuss the impact of your withdrawal on next semester, or any semesters thereafter. When your withdrawal is processed, Financial Aid will consider you not enrolled and act accordingly. Depending upon the time of the semester you withdraw, it is possible that all your aid may be returned (as required by federal law), and you may be personally billed for the semester.

    The final decision as to the amount of semester charge to be forfeited is made by the Office of the Bursar using federal, state system, and university policy. For more information, please see the Bursar’s refund policy.

    No matter what your withdrawal period: a) you may still owe the university money; or b) monies may be returned to your lenders, not you personally.

    The grade for total university withdrawal is W. Your cumulative QPA will return to that of the previous semester. If you are a freshman, you will have a transcript, but no real grade point average. While Ws do not affect your grades negatively, they do reduce your percent of progress, which is required for some financial aid programs.

    Processing this withdrawal means that you may no longer reside in university housing, use a meal plan, or receive a financial aid refund check after the date of your withdrawal.

    If you have on-campus housing, you must contact the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining today to arrange a time to officially check out of your room/apartment and return all keys. Questions about housing/dining fees being charged or refunded should be directed to the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining (G37 Ruddock Hall, 724-357-2696).

    If a refund of university charges is to be granted, allow six to eight (6–8) weeks for processing.

    We hope that you plan to return to IUP. Students who have withdrawn must file an application for readmission for the next semester of desired attendance. You may do so on MyIUP. Select “Student Services” and select “Apply for Readmission to IUP,” or get a paper copy from our office or the Office of the Registrar (724-357-2217). Deadlines do apply: one week prior to the start of the semester.

    As long as you are in academic good standing in your college and/or major, readmission is fairly automatic after you submit the application. If you are below good standing in your college and/or major, your associate dean will review your application for readmission. Any questions that you might have about your readmission or academic progress in general should be directed to your associate dean.

    International students: If you withdraw, you may: a) become out of status, or b) lose your partial tuition waiver. If you have questions about these issues, contact the Office of International Education before you finish processing this withdrawal. (You may still withdraw, but you need to be aware of the impact.)

    NCAA-recruited athletes: Withdrawal may affect your eligibility to participate and/or your scholarship. Contact the Athletic Department’s compliance officer, Samantha Traver (724-357-4295), for information before withdrawing.

    The withdrawal form must be completed and returned today. Failure to do so will change the official date of withdrawal from the day you picked it up to the day on which it is received by our office (i.e., if you pick up the withdrawal form the last day of the 50 percent refund period and return it the following day, you will not be entitled to a 50 percent refund.) As well, any withdrawals initiated, but not completed by, the last day to withdraw will be voided.

    Retroactive Withdrawal – Withdrawals requested after a semester/session’s completion are not guaranteed, are applied for, and may only be for documented medical or psychological reasons. Approval must be granted by both the ADVT director and your associate dean/designee. There is no refund.

  • Refund Policy: Summer Sessions

    The university employs faculty members, assigns residence hall space, and arranges for dining services in advance of each term based on the number of students who plan to enroll. A student who withdraws from the university creates vacancies that may not be filled, and incurs obligations for compensation and services that must be honored.

    The refund policy at Indiana University of Pennsylvania applies to all students enrolled in programs for credit at the university, its branches, the Regional Police Academy, and the Academy of Culinary Arts, both full-time and part-time. The policy only applies if the student is doing a total university withdrawal. There is no reduction in tuition and fees for withdrawing from an individual course.

    Because of the variety of scheduling offerings during the summer, the university has developed refund assessment amounts applicable to the part of term that each course is offered (please refer to Summer Refund Policy). If a course is three weeks in length or less, you must drop the course prior to or by the end of the first day of class in order to receive 100 percent removal of tuition and fees. The Office of the Provost will determine the official start and end date of each course. Students who are totally withdrawing will forfeit charges according to the schedule for the part of term in which the course is offered.

    Students whose credits drop below half time (6 credits for undergraduates or 4.5 credits for graduates) are not entitled to financial aid awards.

    Summer 2017, Entire Term = 1
    Withdrawal Date Range Percentage
    Drop/add ends May 19 100%
    May 20–23 80%
    May 24–30 60%
    May 31–June 4 50%
    June 5–10 40%
    June 11 and beyond 0%
    June 5 to August 10: Summer I and II
    Withdrawal Date Range Percentage
    Drop/add ends June 8 100%
    June 9–12 80%
    June 13–16 60%
    June 17–20 50%
    June 21–25 40%
    June 26 and beyond 0%
    June 5 to July 7: Summer I
    Withdrawal Date Range Percentage
    Drop/add ends June 7 100%
    June 8 80%
    June 9 – June 10 60%
    June 11 – June 12 50%
    June 13 – June 14 40%
    June 15 and beyond 0%
    July 10 to August 10: Summer II
    Withdrawal Date Range Percentage
    Drop/add ends July 12 100%
    July 13 80%
    July 14–15 60%
    July 16–17 50%
    July 18–19 40%
    July 20 and beyond 0%

    Courses are subject to refund policy applicable to the part of term in which they begin. All other sessions not listed above must be dropped on the first day of class to receive 100 percent removal of tuition and fees.

  • Military Call to Active Duty

    Students who are called to active duty and who submit a copy of their call to active duty papers will be eligible to receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees and a pro-ration of housing and dining charges as per the services used. As with other refunds, monies will be returned to appropriate parties in accordance with federal and state guidelines. Please note the Military Resource Center may be a useful resource as you prepare for deployment. Contact information is 101-102 Pratt Hall, 724-357-3008, iup-mrc@iup.edu.