Packing and Health Immunizations

  • Money

    U.S. banks often delay the payment of money that is transferred from foreign banks. It may take up to two months to cash a check or draft from a foreign bank. Banks also charge a separate fee for this service.

    Exchange of foreign currency should be done before coming to Indiana. Local banks do not provide this service. We suggest that you bring your money in the form of travelers' checks. It is the safest and most convenient way for you to bring money.

    We will assist you in opening a bank account soon after you arrive. If more money is needed from your home country, it can be wired directly to your bank here. It is also possible to wire money directly to IUP's bank account in order to pay your fees in advance. Contact the Office of International Education for more information if you are interested in doing this.


    Pennsylvania experiences all seasons (winter, spring, summer, fall). If you have been admitted for the Fall semester and arrive in August, lightweight clothing is appropriate. If you have been admitted for the Spring semester and arrive in January, a heavy overcoat, gloves, and wool clothing will be necessary.


    Should you have any packages that you plan to forward, send them addressed to yourself and in care of the IUP Post Office, Folger Hall, Indiana, PA 15705. These packages will be held for you at the University Post Office. You may claim them later at the Post Office, which is in the basement of Folger Dining Hall.

    Items to Pack

    • Bilingual dictionary
    • Extra eyeglasses (if you wear them) or eyewear prescription
    • Medical prescriptions: Bring at least one month's supply if you take any medicines on a regular basis. Have a pharmacist label them clearly for customs inspections.
    • Photos of family and friends
    • Bedding: Sheets, blankets, and pillows are not available in the residence halls or apartments. You must provide them yourself. You can purchase them here as well.
    • Articles of clothing or something that represents your country

    Health Immunization Records

    IUP requires documentation from all new freshmen and transfer students of all immunization dates. This includes the following vaccines: measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus-toxoid, diphtheria, and polio.

    Additionally, IUP requires that all students, before moving into university-owned residence halls, receive the vaccination for meningococcal meningitis or sign a document stating that the student has chosen to be exempt from receiving the vaccination.

    You should have received an immunization certificate in your admission packet. Please have a doctor complete this, or bring a copy of your health and immunization records for the University Health Service.