Founded more than 140 years ago, Indiana University of Pennsylvania has grown from a school with 225 students and one building to a world-renown university spread over 374 acres with almost 15,000 students studying more than 130 programs.
It was known as Indiana Normal School when it was founded in 1875. The one building everything was originally housed in, John Sutton Hall, still stands today as the heart of the IUP campus, and it is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Over the years, the school’s name changed as it grew, from Indiana State Teachers College, in 1920, when it was awarded the right to grant degrees; to Indiana State College, in 1959; and finally to Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 1965, when it offered its first doctoral program.
The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education was created in 1983. IUP has consistently ranked as one of its largest schools, and it was the first of its universities to offer doctoral degrees. It is still the only school in the State System to offer graduate instruction at the doctoral level (PhD).
For more on the history of IUP, check out IUP Magazine’s Winter 2010 feature, “Then and Now: How the Campus Has (and Hasn’t) Changed”
Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Hotline
© 2007-2015 Indiana University of Pennsylvania
1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pa. 15705 | 724-357-2100